Silver Shadow Cruise Review by jkingusa: You take the good, You take the bad

jkingusa
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Silver Shadow Alaska Cruises

You take the good, You take the bad

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Just finished our cruise from Vancouver to Seward and overall we had a very good experience. The good parts of the ship are the amount of people on the cruise which is very low. Additionally, we never had to wait for anything and dining was nice as we weren't required to sit with strangers. At times during the day the ship felt like a ghost town which from my perspective I loved as the boat was nice and quiet. The service was spectacular and specifically the butler service was amazing. I also enjoyed the smoke free nature especially on the balconies. Although given that we are in Alaska it was even colder than anticipated so we were not able to utilize the balcony as often as we would've liked, but the scenery outside of our cabin was fantastic.

As far as the negatives, first is just the overall value. Given how much one spends for the cruise I didn't expect any negatives so I'm a little disappointed at several items. First, the food was terrible. I've been on More several other ships before and this was by far the worst. Second, one of our excursions was cancelled the night before we were to leave as there wasn't enough people signed up for it. While I understand that happens, a similar excursion was available the day they cancelled it and we could've gone on that one. Third, I am still fighting about my bill as I was charged $100 for 2 DVDs that I was watching the night before we disembarked. I dropped them off at reception where I was told they would take care of it. 2 weeks later and I'm still fighting. As far as items that Silversea couldn't control would be the amount of wave action on the days at sea were pretty significant so much so that I was sick. I've never experienced that on a larger boat. Also, it was cold just about the entire time. The wind whipping off the ocean made the balcony virtually useless. The excursions were extraordinarily expenses. Lastly, the shower temperature fluctuated between scolding to freezing in a matter of seconds without touching anything.

I'm on the fence as to whether I would go on Silver Sea again solely because of the value aspect and the fact you spend so much money, but most of what I look for is a nice cabin, service and a quiet ship so that part suited me well. The biggest downer though is the quality of the food and the menu became very monotonous. Less

Read more Silver Shadow cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Silver Shadow Review >>

Cabin review: Silver Shadow Midship Veranda Suite Deck Five 926

We were on Deck 9 which was nice as not a lot of traffic and very quiet. Cabin was nice, but not huge. The suite was a good size for 2. Shower temperature went from freezing to hot every few seconds.

Nice city with a decent amount of shops. Rained when we were there which dampened the mood. Tracy's Crab Shack has the greatest seafood in the world.
Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Boat Tour

(5)
Boat tour up to the Sawyer Glaciers where we saw the glacier calve which was amazing. Best part of trip.

Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise

(4)
Ketchikan was beautiful. Excursion was great seeing the Misty Fjords in which we were also able to see whales and other wildlife.

Awful city. I would recommend taking an excursion because the city is terrible.
Read 161 Sitka Reviews

Helicopter Tour

(3)
Skagway was cute, but not much to do. Took helicopter excursion which landed on a glacier. It was beautiful, but definitely not worth the money. Helicopter trip was short and value wasn't there.