Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by dynamo33l: Ups and Downs on the Summit

Ups and Downs on the Summit

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Other

We recently sailed on the Summit to Bermuda, and my review is going to be a chaotic mix of highs and lows. It starts with a delay in embarkation due to the Coast Guard doing an inspection. We waited about 30 -- 45 minutes in the waiting area, where they provided juices and tables displaying the different packages for purchase, so it was an easy wait. Once they started calling numbers to board the shuttle, things sped up considerably. Now the shuttle itself was a bit of a confused mess. There were "Day Pass" guests on our shuttle, and the driver kept telling everyone to get off and on at different spots, so several Cruise passengers got off at the wrong stops and had to get back on. I think it took longer for the shuttle to reach the ship than it did to get on the shuttle in the first place.
We had an Ocean View room, which was very nicely decorated. Although our bathroom was not renovated with the rest of the room, and it was very dingy. The white tile was a very dark grey. I More ended up keeping the bath mat down on the floor so we wouldn't have to step on it. Sadly, our room was also very dusty. I ended up dusting the furniture and drawers with a washcloth before I unpacked anything. That being said, our stateroom attendants were excellent for the remainder of the trip. Anything we asked for was brought immediately, and their turn-down and make-up service was lightning fast.
There was a mix up with our dining time, we were booked for 6pm, and it said so on my online reservations. But when we went in, we were sent upstairs to "Select" dining. It ended up being a great mistake; we really liked the freedom of Select. We never had to wait long for a table, if we waited at all, and we never made reservations. The dining room staff upstairs was incredible. They were so friendly, and they were fantastic with our children. We enjoyed the food in the MDR, and liked the Indian food in the buffet a lot. The brunch was a waste of time, it was the same exact food we had upstairs in the buffet, and it was crowded (we waited until after 12 per the reviews of other CC's and it was still difficult finding a table). I was disappointed that there was no dessert or chocolate buffet latenight.
The activities were just ok. Our youngest really enjoyed all the music around the ship and in the theatre. We especially loved the Spanish guitar player. The Chef Cooking Challenge was fun. My husband went to one of the "Smithsonian" lectures and found it incredibly dull. The pool was always crowded, even at 8am where people were sleeping wrapped in towels to reserve their spots. We went the first day and the water in the pool was freezing cold. We didn't go back. The Adult pool area was nice (and warm!). I had a fabulous massage and facial in the spa, but wasn't offered slippers for the Persian Gardens and ended up wearing my shoes in there. I was also given a see-through robe to go to my appointment where you have to walk by the gym and the waiting area which was filled with men. I ended up wrapping a towel around myself and then my robe. It was a bit awkward.
The Fun Factory was loved by the kids. The staff is super friendly. It was so much fun, we never saw our oldest child, except for meals and bedtime. I am going to create a thread to discuss kids on Celebrity more in depth.
Bermuda was beautiful, we would love to go back and spend more time there. It rained on our last day, so we did not get to see the pink beaches. But the ship set up a couple of movies in the conference room, and that gave us something to do.
Overall, combining the highs and the lows, it was an average cruise. We have had much better, and much worse. It probably didn't help that my expectations were really set high by reading other reviews. I don't think we will be scrambling to get on another Celebrity ship anytime soon. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Glass Bottom Boat

(4)
We did the Nighttime Glass Bottom Boat tour via the Cruise ship. We met right outside the ship, and got on the Glass Bottom Boat maybe 20 feet away. It was very convenient. The guides were excellent and very entertaining. They gave a great tour on the way to the viewing area. Not a whole lot to see, only a few types of fish and coral. Seeing the ship wreck was neat. They were very accommodating with our stroller and sleeping baby, allowing one of us to stay downstairs with the baby while the others went to the open air seating upstairs. And made sure the speakers were on downstairs to hear the tour (there were windows also).