Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Alibobs

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Alibobs
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: B3
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

A wonderful experience
To celebrate one of those birthdays ending in 0 this year we were originally thinking about doing a trip round Norway and the fjords. I happened to mention this to someone I "met" on these boards previously and she mentioned that she had always wanted to do a transatlantic on the QM2. Hubby happened to have the newspaper open on a page showing a trip incorporating a transatlantic as i read her reply, we decided that was a sign and booked! We flew to Toronto, went to Niagara then train to NY for a few days.

We had been told that embarkation can be tiresome, we had been given a late slot of 3.30pm but on the advice of the hotel headed off about 1.00pm. We barely queued and were straight on into our balcony cabin - two minutes later our luggage was with us! The cabin was a premium balcony on deck 4, close to C stairs - it was well fitted out, lots of storage and very comfortable. It was nice to have the balcony, we did not spend much time on it but it was good to be able to see the sea.

The ship is beautiful- enjoyed the different themes on each staircase and the Maritime Quest exhibition was very informative. Loved the colour coded carpets on the stairs...A for Apple (green) B for Berry(red) C for Chestnut and D for donkey is how I remembered them. Although the ship is big it did not seem that way - we were well located for everything

We had second seating in the Britannia - a table for 2 as requested. We always um and ah about what table size to go for but we were near another couple who only dined every other night so we had the best of both worlds. My husband thought the food was excellent, I thought most of it was very but certainly had a couple of dishes that had been hanging around a while.....maybe I chose less popular things.

We had brunch most days in Kings Court - the food was good, although it seemed a bit confusing at times what I did like was that there was lots of space to sit.

In fact there was lots of space wherever we went - no fighting for a deckchair or theatre seat.

We only made Afternoon Tea in the Queens Roomonce - but it was lovely, a real occasion and glad we did it.had the champagne tea and Kings Court tea at other times.

Fellow passengers were lovely - an almost equal number of Brits and Americans with a couple of hundred people of other nationalities. Spoke to some really nice people but no-one was in your face either.I was concerned that it might be a bit snooty on board but not at all. You could be as sociable or as quiet as you wanted to be.

Saw a couple of productions - Appassionata and Viva Italia - very good. Enjoyed the planetarium too.Attended a couple of interesting lectures - PD james and Allan Hamilton.nd to seeing or doing. There was so much going on in the daily programme that we never got around to seeing or doing.

Loved the Commodore Club - a G&T and a view to die for.This became our favourite watering hole, the Chart Room was nice to but had a strong smell of cigarette smoke which is apparently being investigated?

All the staff we met were polite and friendly.

It was only our second cruise but my husband said if he cruises again it would have to be Cunard - if he is impressed then believe me it has to be good!

Publication Date: 06/28/12