Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by CleoandAnthony: Royal Caribbean family oriented

CleoandAnthony
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Navigator of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Royal Caribbean family oriented

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

This was my first R.C. cruise and Navigator is the biggest I've cruised with. The centre Royal Promenade is very enjoyable, but was packed like sardines when they hold activities or sales. Good selection of shops. The 8 storey atrium was very impressive and loved all the view points from the decks.

The main 2 pool area crowded, noisy,children everywhere. Lack of parental controls, so not able to relax and sunbathe, young ones not potty trained were in pools and hot tubs. Thankfully there is a great,but too small, adult area pool with 2 hot tubs, small 'sun' deck (people vying for chairs in the sun), lots of shaded area, all with great padded loungers. Bar drink prices high, and can't recall any waiter service.

My superior Stateroom Deck 9 was a good size, great storage, cute bathroom, plus adequate balcony, all furnishings very nice. Much better room size and furnishings than my ms Zuiderdam deluxe verandah stateroom. Wish smoking would be banned from balconies as I More often had to go back in due to adjacent smokers.

Windjammer buffet restaurant had great variety, I enjoyed the food. Quite noisy, busy with majority being families, so at meal times hard to get a seat, and people pushing/jumping in and out to buffet tables. Table clean-up service can't keep up.I don't partake in many activities normally, but adequate number offered. Evening shows disappointing (Princess & Holland much better).

Normally I prefer 'dine as you want' but had to take 6pm seating. Was pleasantly surprised as our long table was half empty, only 8 of us which worked out well for small talk and decent food wait times. Reasonable menu but limited vegetarian options (Holland was best). Most times we rated food as 'ok', sometimes good, but no raves, none excellent.

I felt cruise had perfect number of ports, good selection of excursions. All arrangements went well. Note that port of Souda in Crete was unsightly industrial, nothing to see or do. Ensure you book excursion as everyone raved about them and how lovely town of Chania was.

Sicily/Messini: I chose 'Taormina on your own'. Fabulous, must see. Quaint town, well done up, tons of shopping, many cafes/restaurants, but busy with tourists. I got lost & dead-ended on lovely narrow steep streets several times, but can't complain as it was a charming place to wander.

I would say the cruise was 50% Italian, mostly families, 30-40% were english speaking (US, Can, UK & Austrialian), remainder spoke other languages. Less

Read more Navigator of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Navigator of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Navigator of the Seas 9666

Cabin 9666 was good size, great furnishings, great storage, decent balcony. Very close to back end of ship.

City Tour

The tour 'Ancient Athens, plaka and shopping' was 4 hours. Excellent mix of activity and time at each.

Ephesus

'Highlights of Ephesus tour 4 hours. Fab archeological site walking tour in Ephesus. Then ended in Kusadasi at carpet shop with good info session, good shopping, and just few minutes walk back to ship.
Read 80 Ephesus Reviews

House of the Virgin Mary

Was included in Ephesus Highlights tour. Interesting. Numerous stalls at which to buy souvenirs.