Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by 12rudy0169

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by 12rudy0169
Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Infinity
Member Name: 12rudy0169
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: CC
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Cruise ended with a fizzle instead of a pop!
Sailed Celebrity Infinity round trip Seattle - Tracy Arm Fjord - June 15 - 22, 2012. When we boarded (which seemed pretty organized) and finally were on board the ship, we passed a couple of crew members standing next to some Mimosas. They never offered any to us. I went up and asked if those were for us and then we were given some. What a send off! That should have been the tip off for me that this trip was not customer oriented.

My biggest complaint was that they did not advertise their grand brunch, buffet, or whatever you want to call it. After being on 6 cruises, this is the first time I have ever missed this special event. It was never mentioned in any of the entertainment evenings or in any of the literature that was given to us. We would get special invitations to sales events for whatever they were pushing that day, but nothing about the buffet. As Aqua Class, we ate in the Blu Restaurant instead of the Trellis where the brunch was. Blu was much less hectic. We did eat in the Trellis one day for lunch, and I don't think I would have enjoyed that huge dining room for dinners. The Blu Restaurant which was part of Aqua Class was much more intimate. However, they never told us about the grand buffet. I fell and injured myself on a tour, or I probably would have been asking when it was, but normally you don't have to ask because they are so well advertised. We found out that we had missed it when we went to lunch in the Trellis Restaurant just to see what it was like. The people said that the brunch had been outstanding - lobster, crab legs, ice carvings, chocolate bar. They showed us pictures with carved watermelons. They also said they didn't know about it either, they actually stumbled across it when they went to see what the "brunch" was (since this was the restaurant that they always ate in). They were not Aqua Class so they were eating dinner in the Trellis every night and nobody told them either! Another couple at the table was also Aqua Class and was completely,as she said, "devastated" when they found out that they, too, had missed the brunch. There is a whole column in the paper every day devoted to eating times in all the different restaurants and the only indication of this special event was the word "brunch" 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. listed under Trellis. Not even highlighted or capitalized! Why would you have two dress-up evenings and then have the brunch/buffet in the middle of the day!!! Since most of the cruises I have been on recently refer to it as a "buffet" I didn't even realize this was the big event, plus it was listed under a restaurant that we weren't eating in because we were Aqua Class. We didn't eat in the Trellis so would have no reason to view their hours.

I complained to the Guest Relations Supv and she said that it was printed in the newsletter. I said surely you don't expect everyone to recognize this event simply by the word brunch. She kept saying the same thing and finally I got to talk to the Guest Relations Manager who could have cared less. He said it was basically water under the bridge since it was already passed - too late to do anything. He also said it was printed in the newsletter: brunch. He said the waiters should have told us. I wish I had asked them to prepare me a lobster/crab dinner and send it to my room as I never got to have any on my Alaskan cruise! We did have lobster one night in Blu, but it was fixed in some sauce, so it wasn't that good. They all seem to think the word brunch lets everyone know this is the gala event. At least this is their pathetic excuse. It wasn't even highlighted. I was starting to get bored with his cruise and this event would really have helped liven things up. Especially since it's always the highlight of any cruise. I asked some people in the elevator if they had attended the brunch, and they also said they didn't know about it. I REALLY BELIEVE THAT CELEBRITY INFINITY INTENTIONALLY DOES NOT ADVERTISE THIS EVENT. I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS FOR COST REASONS OR OVERCROWDING. Someone suggested that maybe they don't have enough room for everyone. I repeated that to the Guest Relations Manager, but he said that was not the case. I have never seen a ship that was so disinterested in the satisfaction of their cruisers. IT JUST FLOORS ME THAT THEY DIDN'T CARE THAT WE MISSED THAT BRUNCH...IT'S REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE. I was so dissatisfied with the response from Guest Relations, that I contacted the Cruise Director. He was nicer (said it was printed in the newsletter - brunch), but said it wasn't his area, he would have the Food Manager call me. The Food Manager never called me. Needless to say, this is the worst customer service I have ever seen.

As Aqua Class we got to use the Persian Gardens. These were amazing - steam and dry saunas, some herbal. This was a nice perk in Aqua Class but doesn't make up for no notification about the brunch.

The food on Infinity was good - not excellent. We ate at Blu (nice atmosphere), the Oceanview Cafe - buffet style, Aqua Spa Cafe (health conscious, very limited choices) and Cafe al Bacio Gelateria.

Our Room was Aqua Class 9093 veranda. There is an overhang from the floor above which I didn't know about until the last minute. As someone said, it is a curse or a benefit depending upon how you look at it. It did take effort to keep the overhang and side rails out of pictures. However, in poor weather it did keep our chairs from getting wet. We thought our bathroom had a distinct smell of urine. We asked to have it cleaned again, but it didn't change much. We just tried to ignore it. I don't know if it's just the smell of the bathrooms or if there was a problem. I really didn't feel comfortable asking any other cruisers if their bathrooms smelled of urine. The couple who also missed the brunch, said their shower was actually flooding badly on the Deck above us - don't know if that was 10 or 11. They were Aqua Class.

All of the tours we selected were top notch. I was injured on one tour at the Suspension Bridge in the Yukon. The floorboards were uneven in the restaurant causing me to trip into the steel counter-top and smash my rib cage. I went to the clinic on the boat when we returned 3 or 4 hours later and had an x-ray. They didn't charge me because it was on a sponsored tour. The doctor said it didn't look like a fracture but I should see my doctor when I get back if it still hurts. She said their X-ray machine was good, but not great. I wanted a copy of the medical report for my traveller's insurance, but they said I would have to pay $25. I didn't think that was right and ended up not getting one. I put a call in to the nurse on the last day because I thought I better spend the $25 for it, but again no one called me back.

The naturalist on the ship was outstanding - Brent Nixon. He was very animated and even acted out some of his presentations. Some people thought this was too much, but we found him extremely interesting.

The comedian also was exceptional and I'm sorry I can't remember his name.

The musical numbers were very good, but with about three shows like that produced by the same people it became a little boring. I started to feel bored on this cruise, and that's another reason the brunch would have livened things up.

We did go to some Karaoke in one lounge and dancing in the Constellation.

I had expected so much from Celebrity and was sorely disappointed. Customer service was lacking. I don't fell like they cared about their cruisers. Our last cruise was a Viking River Cruise in Europe and from the food, to the staff there is no comparison. We still gave everyone their full tips because we didn't want to penalize them, but the service just wasn't up to par.

So now I'm back at home with extremely sore ribs, getting ready to go to my doctor, and wishing I could be more excited about the trip I was just on considering how much money we spent. Our vacations have always been outstanding - I guess every one can't be that way. Somewhere along the line you have a not-so-good one, and for me it was Celebrity Infinity.

Publication Date: 06/27/12