Norwegian Star Cruise Review by sgt. mike

Norwegian Star
Norwegian Star
Member Name: sgt. mike
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: BC
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

WOW, EXCELLENT NCL CRUISE
I booked this cruise for our 20yr anniversary. My wife (45) and I(46) have been on Disney,RCCL,and Carnival. This was our first NCL cruise. Not knowing anything about NCL,I was a little nervous. NCL Star made that feeling go away as soon as I step on the ship.

EMBARKATION/DIS: We took NJ transit train from Trenton to NYC and then a $11(with tip) cab ride to the pier. We got to the pier at 10:15am and checked in right away. We were sitting down to eat lunch at Versailles by 12:15pm

SHIP: The ship is 11 yrs old and does show some rust.BUT that is to be expected. Overall the ship was in great shape. I saw everyday people painting,( especially in Bermuda when the ship was docked)cleaning the glass and wood work. Captain Ken ran a great ship and has a great crew. The ship does have some floors that do not go all the way through but after a day you got used to it.

CABIN:We were in cabin #9058( a balcony).The room was very nice and the balcony had a lounge chair and table. The bathroom was great. When you walked in the sink was right there, the shower to your left and the toilet to your right. Both the shower and toilet had glass privacy glass so more than one person could be in the room. Our steward(Hared) was great. He kept the room clean and always greeted you with a smile and good morning/evening sir.

STAFF: From the WASHY-WASHY,HAPPY-HAPPY guys to the entire staff, I don't think I met a crew member who did not smile and say hello. When you got back on the ship in Bermuda during the day, they gave you water,a cold towel, and clean beach towels. I can say that this was the best staff that I have ever cruised with. THANKS

FOOD: There is plenty of choices to eat with Freestyle dining. We are a big fan of it now. Food in the main dining room was above average. We liked the more elegant dining in Versailles (2 nights) as Aqua is smaller and more confined. We eat at Le Bistro(great food and service) and Modero (Brazilian steakhouse), food was great here but the only thing that I did not like was that the restaurant is open so people on deck 8 can walk right by. We also eat at Cagney's( again great food and service) One night we eat late at Blue Lagoon(open 24hrs and has great wings). We only had to wait 10 mins on the last night for a seat. You can make your reservations 45 days out for the speciality restaurants. We eat breakfast everyday in the Market place. The menu hardly changed but they also a a waffle station and 3 omelet stations. Lunch on sea days was at the BBQ near the pool. This was excellent as they had chicken,burgers,brats, steak and shrimp skewers, and salads. The Market Place is opened until 12am.

ENTERTAINMENT: We saw 5 shows(a 70's dance/music show, 60's dance/music show,2- Russian dancers, 2 Jugglers, and Elements) All the show were first rate shows. The Russians did things that the body is not supposed to do. Elements was one of the best shows I have seen at sea. There was a Pub Crawl($25) that is worth it. At the pool they played games everyday and in the Spinnaker lounge they had bingo and more games.

BERMUDA: I have been to Hawaii twice and Bermuda is right up there with it. The people are so friendly and they do not harass you like some other islands. The first day we toured the Dockyard and the Bermuda Museum. We can get great pictures from here. We did the Harbor Nights in Hamilton ( 20 min ferry ride from ship). The second day we rented a scooter(Orleanders--$55 for the day) and rode to St Georges than down the South Shore Rd. We stopped at John Smith beach and Horseshoe Bay. Horseshoe Bay is breath taking. We stayed here for about 2 hrs. Make sure you climb the rocks to get the best views. We continued down the coast stopping at every beautiful spot. We ended back at the Dockyard at 4:30pm. The last day we went to Snorkel Park ($5 to enter) which is in the Dockyard. At the beach you can rent chairs, jet skis, boats, etc. The water here is calm because it is block by reefs and the Dockyard wall. This is a nice beach for young children to swim in.

My only complaint about this trip is that NCL should not allow guest to wear jeans in the dining room for diner. You are spending lots of money on a cruise at least go buy yourself a pair of Dockers. I want to thank the entire staff/crew of NCL Star for making our cruise EXCELLENT.

Publication Date: 06/27/12
Read the Bermuda ports review by sgt. mike
More Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews