Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Helen Pask: Epic West Med Cruise

Epic West Med Cruise

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Our cruise was excellent, couldnt fault the food on board or the service.We ate in the main dining room most nights but twice went to the French Bistro which was fantastic. The food was great and the service 5*.
We specifically enjoyed the Fat Cats Blues Club, Slam Allen were playing and were very, very good, in fact we went there nearly every evening of our cruise.

The itinery was good, however I did feel the shore excursions wewre a little expensive. The trip to Pomei was the highlight of our trip. It was very interesting and our guide was very efficient and helpful.

On the down side, I wasnt to happy with the size of the pool on deck, in the adults ohnly section the pool was very small - not that it was warm enough to swim on our trip!!

I was not competely happy with our cabin, the curved bed etc took up a lot of space and the idea of having the washbasin in the cabin and not in a bathroom was no very nice. The toilet was one side of the door and the More shower opposite, not very private. I did mention this and was told that a lot of people had said the same and the new ship was reverting to the normal cabin layout.

We enjoy walking around the deck but were disappointed to find that the jogging track was only on one side of the ship and you could not walk right around the ship.Also the lifeboats were blocking the view unlike the Jewel where you could lean on the side and look out to sea, there was just a small viewing area.

The ship itsself was immaculate, although a little on the large size for us. 4200 on board but on saying that there was plenty of space for everyone.

This aside, we really enjoyed the trip and have now booked to go back to the Caribbean on the Jewel next year, my favourite NCL ship! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Balcony Stateroom Deck 8

Balcony was fine but I did not like the cabin layout. The cabin we were in was suppoosed to fit four people, it would be very squashed if there had been four of us. The bed was comfy but because it was curved it took up a lot of space. I did not like the idea of the washbasin being in the cabin, not very private. The same with the toilet and shower, when someone was in there you could more or less see them, not private. I would sooner have a closed off bathroom with all facilities in there. The wardrobe space was excellent, plenty of hangers and space. I didnt like the idea of the TV being placed opposite the bed. If you were sitting on the setee you couldnt see it because it was not on a swivel. The cabin was quiet, we had no problems, the steward was nice and did a good job for us. Plenty of towels etc.

we jopined the ship in Barcelona and were driven directly to the ship from the airport so no time to look around. The same on the way back, we left the ship at 7am to catch the flight back home so no time to explore. That was a little disappointing but if I went again I would book from Rome so we could then take in a trip in Barcelona.

The film festival was on when we were there. We just went into the town and checked out all the activities going on for the festival, annoyingly it was raining most of the day but if it had been fine we could have sat on the beach near the port.
Read 178 Cannes Reviews

Wine Tour

(5)
tuscany wine tour really enjoyed the ride out to the vineyard, scenery was lovely. We were shown around the vineyard and where they made the wine. Then we were given a taster of the four wines produced there. Very nice and worth the trip.

Transfer

(5)
We booked the coach to take us into town, it would have been cheaper to go via public transport but it was a long walk from the dock to the bus stop so was worth paying the extra to be taken into the centre of town and back again. Marseille is currently being renovated so a lot of building work going on and pavements closed off. But once its done it will be really lovely. It is a nice city with lots to look at. Best part fopr us was that we needed to exchange our left over euros. If we had done it at home we would have lost out. We are off to the US in October so exchanged the euros for US$ at a very cometitive rave - result!!

Pompeii Walking Tour

(5)
This was amazing, we never realized just how much destruction there was when the volcano errupted, earthquake and Tsunami, all at once, poor people didnt stand a chance. The ruins have been unearhted and were amazing to see. Our guide was lovely and explaine deverything in great detail. She also made surte we didnt get lost in the crowds of people visiting that day. Well worth a look.

The port was very nice, we just went for a walk around the beach area. We didnt go to Rome as it was an all day trip and very expensive. I would love to go to Rome but maybe better to stay in the city sooner than try and cram it all into a day trip as it would have been very tiring.