Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by CruiserSchmoozer: I'm Daniel or Mr. Greene, not Mr. Daniel. Thanks!

CruiserSchmoozer
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruises

I'm Daniel or Mr. Greene, not Mr. Daniel. Thanks!

Sail Date: December 2011

THE BAD

Embarkation was a mess. We all seemed to be herded to the buffet, which was so crowded we could not find a table inside or out. It was the most uncomfortable experience I remember ever having on a cruise (except for the time it took us five hours to disembark from a Princess cruise six years ago).

The cleanliness of the stateroom was below par. The overhead vent in the shower was completely clogged with dust, and I had to use the crimp end of a toothpaste tube to scrape it out. Same thing to a lesser degree with the vent above the toilet. The mirrors and glass art coverings in the room had smudges, streaks, etc., and that never improved even after I complained. The steward didn't understand my complaint. I said their was dust clogging the vents in the bathroom and the mirrors and glass frames of paintings in the room were dirty. He thought I wanted him to take everything we had off the glass shelves in the bathroom and clean the glass. He did all that, and the More stateroom itself still looked bad; besides, we had to reorganize all our things he had moved around on the vanity shelves.

We loved Indigo, but the second night we ate there, the fish was dry and extremely salty, the Caesar salad was swimming in dressing, and they served vanilla ice cream with the pecan pie even though the menu said it came with chocolate ice cream. After I asked them for chocolate ice cream, I waited for five or ten minutes to get it. I told Mr. P of all these things that night, and he invited us back with a free bottle of wine. We returned, and were treated very well. Still, the Caesar salad had way too much dressing on it, so I had to send it back. Also, the hostess and our waitress couldn't get our names right. I go by my first name and my husband goes by the nick name of his middle name. He doesn't mind being called by his first name, but I am never called by my middle name. Personally, I don't like this "Mr. First_Name" custom, either. I would rather be called "Mr. Last_Name" or just First_Name. In any case, they should have gotten our names right, but they always mixed them up.

THE GOOD

Entertainment was great, most of the food was good, most of the ship was clean, most of the crew were friendly and helpful (yes, even the well-meaning ones who called me "Mr. Daniel"), bars were good, drinks were great, buffets were well-stocked (the only trouble was finding places to sit). We had a great time and we are sailing on NCL again this December. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl 5098

I really liked our cabin; I just didn't like the way our steward kept it. He wasn't a thorough cleaner. There was nothing wrong with the room-- oh, wait. There was a pull-down bed on one wall, so you had to duck around that on one side of the bed, and we had to move the bed so we had to step over the other corner of the bed since it butted up against the desk.

Mayan Ruins

(4)
If I could just BE at Tulum, I would give it a 5, but I really did *not* like the boat trip to Playa del Carmen. I had to concentrate not to get sick. They were passing out bags like they do it all the time, and people were throwing up. Also, the bus trip is kind of long. Playa del Carmen is beautiful, though, and Tulum is beautiful. If you go to Tulum, go down to the beach; it's great fun. My one regret is I didn't get to pet the little monkey they took your photo with (for a price) in the bus station area. Another thing about the bus station / shops area -- someone posted signs to a "restroom" leading you through a maze of little shops. When you finally get to the restroom, you have to pay someone to get in. Save your coins and eat in the nearby restaurant where they'll give you coins to go use the restroom. Oh, and when you go to the store that sells obsidian, make sure what you buy actually *is* obsidian. I found a little frog figurine I thought was obsidian and couldn't believe how cheap it was. After I bought it, I realized it was just black glazed ceramic. I don't blame anyone but myself-- I just warn my fellow traveler to check what you're buying.

Snorkeling

(4)
The Stingray excursion we booked with the cruise line was cancelled due to rough water on the other side of the island, so we got a snorkeling excursion instead. The visibility was not great and the sea life color and variety was not great, but it was visible enough and interesting enough to be worth it.

Had a good time. Some people told us not to bother, that there were no places to sit or lie down, nothing to do, etc., but we found a couple of chaise longues, enjoyed swimming, walking on the beach, getting drinks, listening to music, etc. The other bother was the construction going on not far from the beach, but even that we were able to tune out.

Bobsled Tour

(5)
LOVED the ride! Also loved the water slide at the top, which I went down three times. We would have had lunch there but they didn't have a restaurant or it was closed or something. Word to the wise: Don't buy the Blue Mountain Coffee in the gift shop: buy it at one of the shops by the embarcadero for half the cost. Also, hang on to your hat or don't wear one. Someone was kind enough to pick up our hats -- seemed to know exactly where we would lose them, in fact -- and walked them up the mountain to the gift shop. We gave a tip, of course, and the look on her face told me it wasn't quite enough. Anyway, it is great, and the facilities at the top are nice and clean. Good place to use the restroom, change clothes, put things in a locker, etc.