Carnival Dream Cruise Review by windycitymom: Great time on the Carnival Dream!

windycitymom
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great time on the Carnival Dream!

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Other

Put me in the category of "Loved sailing on the Dream!" The negative reviews had me a little worried, but my worries were quickly dispelled once we got on the ship.

We sailed with our two boys, ages 19 and 22. We had a family deluxe ocean view cabin which included two separate sink/shower areas. That was perfect when traveling four adults in a room. I loved having the ocean view window and we would take turns sitting up there just watching the view. Our boys loved the beds and said they were very comfortable. Even my 19 year old who is 6' and had the top bunk said his bed was awesome and very comfortable. We always bring extra wire hangers because there are never enough in the closet. We had plenty of room in the cabin.

We were very pleased with the food and had no complaints. We would get omelets made every morning. We had a great dining room experience and thought our waiters did a great job. They were always working very hard and very busy, but they More took the time to know our names and what we drank at dinner. Some nights we ordered multiple appetizers, main courses and desserts and they took our order with a smile. We didn't see the need to spend extra money to eat in the Steak House. We had great choices on our menu. My son tried the flat iron steak and thought it was okay. The lobster tail and shrimp on elegant night was delicious! There were so many choices in the MDR that there was no reason not to find something on the menu that you liked. We ate at 6 pm and were probably out by 7:30 pm most nights.
The pizza and sandwiches on the lido deck were great too. We did room service in the morning and would wake up with by having coffee and fruit/pastries delivered. Don't forget to check out the make your own pasta bar! That was great too.

We did the hot tub and that was very nice. The Serenity Deck with very nice too. There was always staff cleaning or a waiter asking if he could take your drink order. It was great to have the waiter bring a bucket of cold bear to the hot tub.

The only thing I didn't like was the number of people who would cram themselves into the elevator. For the most part, we took the stairs but sometimes you don't want to walk up 10 flights at once. People would say "oh you could fit two more in" and cram in. These same people would then get off the elevator two floors later. Really - you can't walk up two flights?

I don't know why I bothered packing my gym shoes and gym clothes as I never made it to the gym, but my son worked out daily. I would have gone if they would have offered a Zumba class, but I don't use free weights or a treadmill. They did offer a pilates class but who wants to get up at 7:30 am while on vacation? I was kind of surprised to see a $12 charge for pilates. I thought I would walk the running track, but that didn't happen either LOL.

We loved sailing on the Dream and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Oceanview Riviera

1339 - This cabin is the family deluxe ocean view that comes with two separate showers and sink areas (just one toilet). We had one king bed and bunk beds set up. This was a quiet place to be and we had no complaints about the room.

I didn't get off at Nassau, but my husband and one son did. I was sorry I didn't because I heard it was was better than before. The shopping area has greatly improved I heard. I like chilling on the ship and don't mind sea days so I didn't get off since there was nothing in particular I had to do.
Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

We didn't do a ship excursion, but we took a taxi over to Maho Beach. A 30 minute taxi ride was about 9 a person there, and we paid $8 a person coming back because there were more people in the van. Maho Beach is a small strip of beach but jets and corporate planes land and take off from there (watch the videos on YouTube). We paid $20 to have two loungers and an umbrella. We didn't lounge but wanted our stuff off the sand and the shaded umbrella. We spent most of our time in the ocean which has some waves. We wore water shoes which was good because there are rocks in the water. We had been to St. Martin before, but never to Maho Beach. Our friends like Orient Beach but that just seems to passive to me. I'm not really a lounger. It was fun to be in the water, jump the waves, and watch the planes fly directly over you. It was a great photo op. Some people even hang onto the fence by the airport to get blazed by the jet exhaust. There are signs up saying it could cause bodily injury and even death, yet people do it. We will come back here again as it had the right amount of activity and excitement for our family. We headed back to the ship about 2:30 pm since it was leaving at 4 pm.

We didn't do a ship excursion, but we rented an open air jeep on our own. The jeep cost us about $70. The Budget Rental shack had only ONE person helping people with their reservations. It's cruise day and the Oasis of the Seas was docked next to us. Really - one person on cruise days? It took us probably 30 minutes to get our jeep. We had fun just driving all over the island. We ended up at Mountain Top and had a banana rum daiquiri. That was great and the view was cool. Be sure and eat lunch before you drink a rum daiquiri or it will knock you off your butt (ask me how I know). The prices of alcohol are amazing on St. Thomas but who wants to put bottles in their checked luggage? I miss the days when you could just put it in your carry on. We also stopped at Udderly Delight for another frozen concoction. My hubby was driving so he didn't drink anything with alcohol in it.
Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews