Carnival Dream Cruise Review by PixieAmy: Life is but a Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Life is but a Dream

Sail Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I went on the Dream with my mother, in her early 60's and my daughter, 18 years old. Checking-in was a very quick, easy process, a majority of employees were very helpful and friendly.

Carnival does give the impression of being a "party ship" and that is exactly what you will find. Deck 10, Lido deck, big screen TV, is the party area. For a quieter experience their is a pool in the back of deck 10.

The food was hit or miss. The deli station on the Lido deck is a wonderful option for a panini, it is right off The Gathering/buffet. Also on the Lido deck is a pizza/burger/hot dog line. All is a bit to be desired.

The buffet is located in The Gathering, closest to the "party area" is a Mongolian Stir-fry, found hair in my food from the Mongolian Stir-fry.
Stairs leading from the Gathering, inside, go to a pasta bar. Not a bad option, pick your own pasta, sauces, and toppings.

The Gathering was OK, typical buffet food. Breakfast, has wonderful More oatmeal!, ask for eggs over easy, or you will be stuck with the powdered eggs. The rest is typical breakfast food, eggs, french toast, pancakes, ham, potatoes, cold cerial, so on. Omelettes can be ordered. Breakfast starts at 630, lines start by 730.

The dining room had better food then anywhere else on the ship, still not the best, but good. I didn't order the comfort food option, but their was one daily. We had wonderful service, early dining 600pm. Down side, their were 10 person round tables, very hard to talk to anyone who wasn't within a seat or two to the left of right, although some people might not find this a con.

Room service, for breakfast was a great option before heading down to the gathering. They were very polite and quiet if someone else was sleeping when they came. Has basic, coffee, juice, pasties, cold cerial, and fruit.

Our room steward was wonderful! Very friendly, very helpful. Always had fresh towels, clean room, animals made out of towels daily. The rooms were nice, we didn't spend much time in them. The linens were great, very soft.

Bathroom was very clean, small, but it is a cruise after all. I don't think anyone over 6 feet could fit in the shower very well.

Their were many activities, I wouldn't say something for everyone, just depends on what someone is looking for.

Their were many photo ops too. Some very nice photos, not the best quality, but fun momentos, prices did vary.

Excursion, we purchased prior to our cruise, their are more options when you get on the boat, but they do sell out. If you are willing to be flexible, wait till you get on board to book.

The Dream is what you make of it, if you're like me and my family, we can have fun anywhere, if you are looking to be entertained every minute, this probably is not the best option for a vacation. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Upper

Loved our balcony, small, but livable rooms, very clean restrooms.

We took the River Wallace/Mayan Ruins tour. Kendra and Angel were our guides the River, they were amazing!!!! Angel was a wealth of information! On the river we saw monkeys, various birds, bats, locals in canoes, houses of every kind along the river. After the River tour we were taken to a local restaurnt. The Belizian Chicken was by far the best meal of our trip, better then the food on the ship. Try their local beer too, I enjoyed the stout, my mother enjoyed the light version. Lunch and a beer were $12.00 American per person. The ruins were breath taking, on the smaller side, so easier to climb then other ruins. Our tour was held up and took about an hour longer then it should have, but Kendra was great with keeping us up to date and answering any quesions we hard in regard to the tour, Belize, even about her trips to States. We were given a bottle of water while on the River, make sure to pack one or two of your own as well, it can get very hot.

Beach Break

(2)
After an active, early start for 4 days we decided to take it easy on the beach. The ride their, we were herded on to a bus, nobody said anything, they took our tickets and away we went. Our driving, after about 40 min pulled up to a beach, he said where we were. I understand their is sand on a beach, that is what a beach is, however, every chair on the beach was loaded with sand, not just a dusting. Their was an employee cleaning the beach, raking, removing seaweed, he just wasn't removing it where we were. If you don't mind walking through dry seaweed, unloading piles of sand off your chair, sending peddlers away about every 20 minutes then this would be a beach for you, but if you are looking for a nice well kept beach, look elsewhere. Also, packs snacks, the food was offensive, as were the beverages. My mother wanted a Margarita, which was so bad, she couldn't even drink it. I just wanted pineapple juice, after a 3 min conversation, declining alcohol many times I finally got a pineapple juice, or I should say water, with a splash of juice!

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
Wonderful experience, fun for all ages. We did get a free lunch, it was authentic Mexican food, very good.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
Wonderful trip for all ages, young to senior, trainers make sure everyone knows what to do and will answer all questions.

Although I did enjoy the tour, the guides were not nearly as friendly as Belize or Cozumel. We booked this tour through the cruise ship, zipline and Gambiana State Park. My mom, daughter, and I had never been ziplining before. The actual zipline was a blast!!! We had a lot of fun. The company however, left a lot to be desired in way of their employees. I was told I had a "big butt", I'm 5'2" 120 pounds! My mother was yelled at LOUDLY in Spanish, she and I were both hit in the head with pullies, while we were waiting to go. That employee was scolded by another. At the end an employee offered to follow my mom to our tour van for a tip! (We were told to leave everything on the van) and screamed at we had no respect for the workers, just about everyone on our tour was taken aback by that. The state park was very enjoyable, the birds and monkeys were friendly, used to humans. The beach was nice, but we only had about an hour on the beach, we didn't bother with swimsuits, we went in up to our knees, beautiful water. Their was an area to order to food, only American fare though. I did not order any, but others seem to enjoy it. Bus ride there and back was OK, about 30 min either way.
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews