Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Loreto1028: Fabulous Cruise on the Celebrity

Fabulous Cruise on the Celebrity

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Background: My Mom and Dad always wanted to do an Alaska Cruise, but then my Dad took sick and passed away. It's been five years now, and I told my Mom I would do the cruise with her. Well she had other plans. Mom took all three of us girls on the cruise as a thank you for all we do for her.

Ship Info: We were on the Celebrity Century, which I was expecting to look a bit tires, as it's the oldest ship in the fleet, but was pleasantly surprised. The ship was in great shape and the crew were fantastic. Much better than we experienced on the Solstice last year.

Stateroom: We had an inside room, which I thought would be small and dark, but the design is so efficient that we couldn't even fill all the storage space, and we are not light packers. The one nice thing about the inside room is that it is dark and we were able to sleep in.

Activities: We tried everything. The trivia contests were pretty lame, but we still had fun. Did a back stage tour one More afternoon and that was quite interesting. My sisters and I also did the wine pairing which at $15 pp was great value and we came away learning something. The Wines of Europe at $25 pp was also very good, and we did taste some very nice wines.

Dining: We ate in the Dining Room each night at the 6pm serving, and the only negative comment I would offer was we were 4 at a table of 8 which no one else at the table. The food was great as were the recommendations of our waiter, Sabu and Assistant Waiter, Danilo. For lunch we tried the buffet and the dining room - just depended on the day, and whether we felt like being served or not. Breakfast was usually at the buffet, but we did try Aqua Spa one day. We probably would have preferred Aqua Spa on a daily basis, but it just isn't big enough and we ended sitting outside, which wouldn't bother us if we weren't in Alaska.

Entertainment: We went to the theatre most night and the shows were always very good. The A Capella group was amazing and friendly - after their show they would always thank us for being there - they even dedicated a song to Mom and then posed for photos with her. Kadek in the Martini Bar was always entertaining. I think one of our favourite events, was the last sea day where the staff performed in the theatre - some extremely talented staff.

Service: The service throughout the ship was very good. If we had to single anyone out for going above and beyond it would be Iryna and Kadek in the Martini Bar and Sabu and Danilo in the Dining Room. Our room steward, Irfam, was especially good to our Mom. The big difference from the Solstice, is that we never saw the Captain until the final sea day, where on the Solstice, we saw him quite often. The officer interaction on the Century was no were near as good as it was on the Solstice, but that certainly didn't effect the quality of the trip for us, just was a noticeable difference. The Cruise Director, John Grantham does a great job, and seems to be well respected by all the staff and officers.

Port & Shore Excursions:
Icy Strait Point - my sister and I did the Zip Rider and it was worth every cent. We would have loved to do it a second time, but there just wasn't time. Highly Recommend it.

Juneau - In Juneau we didn't do an excursion, we just wandered. Wandering can cost a lot more money than an excursion! We did enjoy our stop at the Red Dog Saloon and the Taku Salmon store.

Ketchikan - We had arranged a private tour with Mighty Great Trips, which was a decent tour and we saw some amazing scenery. My only problem was with our tour guide and his not so subtle request for tips.

Disembarkation - Very Smooth. Had breakfast, picked up our remaining belongings in our room and headed to the Rendezvous Lounge where we chatted until our number was called. Plenty of cabs waiting and we were whisked to the airport and on our way home. Very Painless!

Summary: I would definitely take another cruise aboard the Celebrity Century and I would request the same dining room staff and hope that Iryna and Kadek are still in the Martini Bar. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (8) 8196

Zip-lining

(5)
Fantastic! Wanted to do it again, but there wasn't time.

Just wandered around town. Was disappointed that all the jade was actually from BC and not Alaska. Wanted to spend money and was having trouble because we really didn't see much quality items to purchase. Did stock up on salmon though.
Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Did a private tour with Mighty Great Trips which was good value for the price, an we saw some amazing scenery. My only problem was with the guide, Justin, and his constant, not so subtle, suggestions to tip him well.