Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by Karen Porrett: Wonderful cruise on the Thomson Spirit

Karen Porrett
0 Post

Wonderful cruise on the Thomson Spirit

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Newcastle (England)

We have just returned from our cruise on board the Thomson Spirit Land of the Vikings cruise from Newcastle and we have had a wonderful time. We have cruised previously with Princess and P&O and this was our first time with Thomson. I was a little apprehensive before we went when I read some of the reviews.

I chose this cruise as we live in Newcastle and it was handy for us and very little traveling time and I thought this would be an ideal cruise to try Thomson.
If anyone is thinking of going on the Spirit take no notice of the reviews do not let them put you off we had a fantastic time we did not want to come home.

Embarkation:
We left our home at 12pm in a taxi and as soon as we arrived our luggage was taken from us we were checked in shuttle bus to the ship as soon as we were on board we were shown straight to our cabin which was lovely I booked a suite my husband grumbled at first but I booked 10 weeks before travel and got a good deal.
Our cabin was More 119 on deck 7 when my husband seen it he was pleased I had upgraded.
We were sitting having lunch at 12.45pm, we could not believe how organised and how swift embarkation was. When we returned to our cabin our cases were waiting for us. I unpacked and we attended the safety drill and we set sail.

Ports of call:

Sea day
We had a lovely sea day time to unwind we watched the cocktail making display by the bar staff on deck as the weather was lovely, we also listened to the port of call talk to get tips for the ports we were visiting. This was also our Captains night which was great we had cocktails and the Captain introduced himself and the head staff. A lot of men had the DJ on we had a great night.

Oslo:
We have been to Oslo before previously and on our 1st visit we went to Vigeland Park which is fabulous and worth a visit if you ever go to Oslo it is also free entry to get in! So we did the Fjords cruise this is a 2 hour boat ride it costs £25pp the ships excursion was £52pp for a 3 hour trip on the boat then a drive around city. We decided to do this ourselves it was very easy as Thomson had provided a complimentary shuttle bus which took us close to the place where you can book this tour. We had a little look around after the tour then headed back to the ship.

Gothenburg:
We did a ships tour to the West coast Islands this was great we seen some lovely little holiday homes and fantastic scenery we had a few photo stops on the way I would recommend this trip.

Copenhagen:
Copenhagen was really busy the day we visited as the Chinese President was visiting the city and this caused a lot of disruption. The hop on hop off buses were not keeping to their routes it was impossible for them too. A Lot of people were complaining but it was out of their control the police had roads closed also there were quite a lot of road works which added to the chaos. We had been to Copenhagen before so luckily we had seen all the major sights to see, this time we went to Tivoli Gardens, which was wonderful and very relaxing it cost 10 euros for admission without any park rides. This is well worth a visit.

Aarhus:
Again we did a ships tour Dreamy Djursland we visited Rosenborg Castle which has been in the same family since the 1500's it is well worth a visit. We then sent to the glass works and then had a walk around the little village in Djursland it was very quaint and lovely to see well recommended.

At Sea:
Our last day I packed and got things ready for our disembarkation the next day. We went to watch the Swing show by the Thomson entertainment team and then a chat show with Berni Flint and the cruise director Richard it was brilliant. We were sad on our last night as we knew we would be back to reality in the morning.

Staff:
The Thomson staff are amazing and they all work really hard with no days off they make sure you really enjoy yourself and nothing is too much trouble. Angel who is the head waiter in the Lido Buffet restaurant spoke to us on our 1st day and asked our names from then on every time he seen us he remembered our names and he really looked after us finding seas, carrying my tray getting us drinks he made us feel really special, he was like that with everyone very attentive. The staff in the Compass Rose restaurant were also very attentive and nothing was too much trouble the Baked Alaska show with the waiters was great.
The Thomson Singers and Dancers were amazing they work very hard during your cruise keeping you entertained and unlike any other cruises we have done they were very approachable and joined in if they were not working.
The cabin stewards we had Robert and Valentina were very attentive and made lovely towel animals every day for us. The cruise Director Richard and his team should be very proud of the great atmosphere and friendliness on board the Thomson Spirit they made our holiday. The whole of the Thomson staff from cleaners to Cruise director are amazing and work very hard.

Cleanliness:
OK Thomson Spirit is old but she is immaculate very clean the Thomson team have a very high standard when it come to cleanliness you always see someone cleaning her inside and out!

Food:
The food was great a huge variety in the buffet Lido and on deck, the Compass Rose was excellent no need to pay extra for Sirocco's we thought the food was great so why pay a surcharge when the food is very good OK you do not get lobster like you would on Princess or P&O as someone mentioned in a previous review but the staff service is way more friendlier on board the Spirit so I did not care there was no lobster on the menu to tell the truth I did not notice as menu was really good anyway!

Entertainment:
As I said the singers and dancers providing the entertainment were brilliant they worked hard the shows were great and they all could sing as well as dance they did not mime which was great to see as on previous cruises you normally only have 1 or 2 good singers they all had their part and all sang and danced.
Berni Flint was the headliner for our cruise he was on Opportunity Knocks the only person to win for 12 weeks (3 months) for anyone who has seen his show you know what I am saying! He was brilliant we had seen him before on a previous cruise but he was still very funny and I would not complain if we seen him again we had a great time when he was on.
High Spirits was great we had some great nights there watching the Mr & Mrs show, Through the Decades, Weakest Link to name a few game shows played lots of late nights there. Horizon is lovely too with it's huge windows and views from deck 9.

Disembarkation:
We were independent travellers we got the orange tickets which is first off we were off the ship at 7.30am in taxi at 7.45am and we were home by 8.05am this was fantastic very smooth.

Overall:
This was our 1st time with Thomson and it wont be our last it may not be as glitzy or glamorous as the newer ships we have been on but it cannot be beaten for entertainment, a good time and friendliness this has been one of our favourite holidays and one we will remember. There was a slight vibration on the Spirit in our cabin on occasions not all the time but nothing to complain about and in the Broadway lounge. For anyone who has a cruise coming up on the Spirit I am very jealous and I know you will have a fab time.
Well done Thomson we loved our holiday on board the Spirit Thank you.

Karen & John Less

Read more Thomson Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Spirit 119

We had a suite very spacious lots of space and plenty wardrobe space with fridge well stocked. King size bed was huge lovely sitting area and bath in en suite well stocked with Elemis products. We were on deck 7 cabin 119 little vibration at times but not much. 2 mirrors either side of the TV dressing unit below the TV in the cupboard was the safe which is electronic you do not need to pay a surcharge. Plenty of space you will love this cabin.