Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by jvteach77: Another good cruise

Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.5

Another good cruise

Sail Date: June 2012

The Port of Miami really had its act together when it came to getting on the ship. We arrived at the port about 12:30 and were on-board in less than 15 minutes. Very fast, even compared to Tampa and Galveston, which I thought were very fast themselves.

The ship to me seemed to be the regular mid-size Carnival style ship. I liked the decor. I did notice some areas of carpet that needed to be replaced, but everything seemed to be in working order and I saw crew cleaning everywhere I went on-board.

The Lido buffet was good, but not great and if I had one complaint about the lido it would just be that it was just so crowded. The guys that make the sandwiches were good and I normally went there for a reuben, since the line was much shorter there.

My kids, 10 and 7, enjoyed camp carnival and had a great time there. They often asked to go there during the day and always wanted to go immediate after dinner. I would recommend the early dinner for families with More young kids.

The one gripe I have with Carnival is the dinner menu and entertainment. We've been on four 5 day cruises over the last 2 years and I could recite the menu from memory without looking at it. The entertainment is the same as well. It looks like they could put a little variety into the menu just to mix it up some. The last cruise I found myself ordering the same thing as the last time, since there was nothing else I wanted off the menu. One night I didn't really see anything that appealed to me, while another had 3 apps and 2 entrees that all looked good. Either change the nights that the entrees are offered or use an entirely different menu like what would be on one of the 7 night cruises that isn't on the menu for a 5 day cruise.

As far as service is concerned, we had very good service from our dining waiters and room steward. All were very friendly, learned our names immediately, and called us by name for the rest of the trip.

The entertainment was good and we enjoyed the singing and dancing shows. We wish they had more of them, but only had 2.

The comedians were not particularly funny to me and their "family-friendly" preview the first night was not "family-friendly" in content, but only in language.
We thought the cruise director was funny and did a good job hosting shows. For some reason we didn't get tickets to the past guest party and had to go and request them. Also, they didn't have a farewell party like they did on the Triumph 2 months ago, so we were disappointed in that.

We loved Half Moon Cay. Grand Turk was new to us and interesting. I've been to Nassau twice already and now three times. I don't see a need to ever go back. Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Oceanview Riviera 1273

We had an outside view cabin on the Riviera deck. I had some reservation about being on the Riviera deck, since the lowest I'd ever been was the Main deck, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. We were even near the aft elevators, but we never felt or noticed any vibration from the engines. The cabin was 220 square feet and seemed much larger than the 185 square foot inside cabin we had on our last trip. Our daughter was in the room with us and we were never crowded or tripping over each other.

Golf Cart Rental

(4)
We rented 2 gold carts from Nathan on Grand Turk. We motored all over the island and had a great time. My cart had a little problem with the choke, but it ran fast when adjusted correctly. The other cart we had was in good mechanical and cosmetic shape and worked well. We went to the Lighthouse and walked down the path at the back to near the beach. we found several conch shells that were empty, plus the views of the reef and beach were awesome. We then went to the Island Museum, which was small, but packed with good artifacts and interesting maps, pictures, and information. I forgot my camera in the museum as we were leaving and one lady working there ran a quarter mile to get our attention to give it back to us. Now THAT is honest. We had to replace the gas we used in the carts and returned to the port. While there my wife shopped while I ate some onion rings at Margaritaville. The sauces they served were different from anything I've ever had and were very tasty.

WOW! The best beach I've been to in many, many years. We sent most of our time working with our kids and teaching them how to snorkel. We saw a few small fish and some flounders. The excitement came when I happened to look up and saw people trying to get back to the beach in a near panic. Someone said a large fish was nearby and held up his hands in indicate a fish 2-3 feet long. I asked if it was a shark and he said no, so I popped my mask back on and dove back out to see what it was. It was a barracuda that was after a school of small bait fish and had wandered in very close to shore. We were less than 50 feet from shore in about 4 feet of water. The barracuda swam around for a minute and then left for deeper water. I've seen several scuba diving, but never seen one so close to shore so that was a treat to me. I wouldn't worry about going to this beach again though, since there were so few fish around barracudas and sharks are not likely to even come close.

If you like jewelry shopping, then this should close to a perfect stop for you. It reminds me too much of an urban city setting, which is not what I want when I go to the Caribbean. I like beaches, history, scuba diving, sight-seeing, etc. Nassau does have some sights to see, but we'd already been to Fort Charlotte (which I'd recommend). Had it not been for my kids and father-in-law who had never seen Nassau before I would have stayed on the ship.
Read 2627 Nassau Reviews