Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by TexasGail

Member Name: TexasGail
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8C

Great for quick getaway! (long review)
All the negative comments are rather off-putting, but as long as you know what you're getting into beforehand, you'll have a great time! Let me start by saying we are not "picky" people...we go on cruises for a change of pace. I'm retired and my husband is self-employed and we live in a small city so sometimes (like this one) we just like to be around a diverse group of people having fun and Carnival never disappoints. When we want a longer, more sophisticated cruise, we go with Celebrity.

We arrived at the parking lot (Lighthouse...we always use them and they are great) around 11:30 on Thursday and were quickly taken to the ship. Embarkation was a breeze...literally just walked on with no waiting. Immediately went to lunch and explored the ship. Our room was ready around 1:00 and we were able to put away our carry-on stuff. Then out for more exploring. Our luggage made it there close to 5:00. Put everything away and started VACATION: A

Lots of music, sun, and people! It's summer so most families brought the kids along, which we love to see so no problem for us. Met our dinner table companions that evening and Carnival did a wonderful job of matching us up. Our companions were so much fun and we had so much in common that we wished we could have spent an entire week with them! Carnival really got it right this time: A+

Food:

Thursday night: Unfortunately, the food has really gone downhill: watch out Carnival, know you have to cut corners somewhere, but not on the food, please! Had lasagna the first night...I adore Italian food, but let me tell you, this was NOT Italian style lasagna...not sure what it was but it was truly inedible: F

Friday night: "Formal" night...prime rib was really, really good; cooked just like I ordered it: A+

Saturday night: Back from port visit, so didn't expect much. Actually, it was very good. Had jerked pork and really liked it: A

Sunday night: Had bourbon and maple chicken...was o.k.: C

A word about the breakfasts and lunches: South Beach on Lido Deck is o.k. buffet. If you want better quality, by all means go to the dining room. Omelets at breakfast in dining room are really good, as is Eggs Benedict. Lunches are limited in selection, but well done.

Hot dogs and hamburgers at poolside are a good snack..which we did every day at 4!

Entertainment:

Thursday: Welcome aboard show so-so...have seen it a million times on Carnival. It's good to give you a taste of the comedians, though. We especially loved Tommy Drake...we went to both of his late-night adults only shows and loved them. Risque, of course, it WAS adults-only after all, but not vulgar. We're still laughing about his bit about the toaster and another one about waffles!

Friday: Didn't see the show, spent the time in the casino, then comedy show.

Saturday: Ditto.

Sunday: The show was "Big Easy" and don't miss it! I'm from New Orleans originally and it was great! Touched on all the facets of "America's Most Interesting City" and well worth the time spent there.

Shore Excursion in Cozumel:

We did the "Mexican Cooking & Beach" and it was wonderful! Loved Chef Oscar and Asst. Jimmy and the food we prepared was very good. One caution: the Margaritas don't taste strong...but they ARE! Knocked me for a loop and I'm usually not affected. Afterwards, time on the beach in a hammock was great. Highly recommend this tour.

Overall:

We loved our time spent on this cruise. Only thing I would recommend Carnival improve is the food. Definitely not up to par of many previous cruises. I would be willing to pay more for the cruise if the food was greatly improved...just a note to Carnival!

Bon voyage...you'll have a great time!

Publication Date: 06/24/12