Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by thelma heath

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by thelma heath
Splendour of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Member Name: thelma heath
Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: G
See More About: Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Splendour of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Splendour of the Seas Deck Plans
Another enjoyable cruise with Royal Caribbean
My 75 year old husband and myself-70-booked another cruise with RC having enjoyed the Western med last year on the Adventure of the Seas. I chose this cruise because of the itinerary and this didn't disappoint. I always search for a bargain and booked a few weeks before complete with flight as my husband likes to have everything organised for him.This holiday is primary his holiday as my main holiday is a skiing.

The flight to Venice from Gatwick was on time and the transfer to the port efficient-our check in was quick and we knew to go straight to the Windjammer for lunch without waiting for our luggage to be delivered to beat the crowds..We were a little apprehensive as our cabin was on deck 3 with an outside window-we did wonder if the window would be just a port hole but it was a good size -great to sleep with the curtains open and the light of the moon shining in at night.The cabin was a reasonable size with plenty of storage-it had been refurbished-we were able to watch the Diamond jubilee events on the TV although there was no inter active TV which we found useful last year.

As a couple we like different things from a cruise-I was swimming early every morning before attending the stretch and fab ab classes-I took part in the Zumba exercise class at the poolside-all were free. The pilates and yoga needed to be paid for so I didn't take part in those.I also attended the Italian classes on 2 afternoons which were very entertaining and informative. I made use of the library on deck 6 and changed the books which I brought with me.My husband used the week to relax and attended no classes but we both enjoyed the entertainment.

We didn't go ashore at Bari but thoroughly enjoyed the visits to Corfu and Mykonos-we took the short organised tours to Athens and Dubrovnik-both were excellent and our tour guide in Athens gave us good insight as to the history and the current political situation. The ride in the gondola in Dubrovnik gave us a fabulous view over the town. We found that 2 organised excursions was sufficient.

There did seem to be a problem with the wi-fi (this was second hand as we didn't use it.

We enjoyed the wide variety of food offered and ate in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch daily-plenty of choice -healthy or calorific if required.I always aim to return the same weight as I was at the beginning and I did just that-the exercise did it!! We enjoyed the formal dining -our waitresses,Ttatiana and Juliana were real characters -we enjoyed the dining room staff and kitchen staff 'strutting their stuff' although if you don't buy into that sort of thing it may not suit you.Our table companions were all very pleasant and it was interesting to exchange stories from other countries.Our cabin man,Ronaldo was also very helpful and obliging at all times.We had paid out gratuities in advance but added to the envelope for those 3 members of staff ( and I was the original Scrooge)

There are times when the organisation may feel a bit like a military exercise but to move so many people off on on the ship it needed to run smoothly.

I am quite surprised at the previous negative reviews-I felt that the amount paid for what we got was excellent value for money.A couple we spoke to were actually comparing this cruise against a much more expensive one-if you want more then you need to pay the higher prices!!

Publication Date: 06/24/12
More Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Splendour of the Seas review Read the next Splendour of the Seas review

More Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews