“Norwegian fjords and Scotland”
Cruise review of Holland America Rotterdam

JWinchester Rotterdam 4 Norwegian fjords and Scotland
JWinchester
Member Since 2012
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating
As soon as I saw the itinerary for the 15 day Norway and Scotland cruise HAL offered on the Rotterdam, I was enthusiastic. Three sea days, ten ports, cities, fjords, an island, and all in places I long since wanted to visit. A perfect cruise to try out how much I'd enjoy cruising solo. And HAL didn't let me down. The itinerary was good: departure from Rotterdam, plenty of time in each port, without any stress and leisurely sailing to the next location, interspersed with a single sea day just after the "middle" (and two sea days at the start and finish but I consider those traveling days). I very much enjoyed myself. Despite traveling solo, I never was bored or felt lonely. As You Wish Dining is perfect for meeting new people every night without the pressing need to socialize further beyond dinner, though the brief chat here and there with previous dinner partners was quite pleasant. The ship wasn't too big for my liking, and, despite my fears, I rarely noticed there were almost 1,400 people sharing it with me--except during de-embarkation breakfast, so that's a lesson learned for next time. My cabin, on the lowest (Dolphin) deck, while not big, was pleasant enough, and quiet enough to offer a good night's sleep. Being on the starboard side, I often had views of the coastline while we sailed. And being located near the gangway/tenders made for quick and easy access off and on the ship. Were there downsides? Yes: during this cruise the ship suffered under a noro virus that spread like wildfire, despite all the hard work on part of the crew to try and contain it. Losing a day and a half of holiday and sightseeing time (and missing out the Scottish Highlands) was sad and a tad annoying, but these things happen. All in all, would I go again? Absolutely.
Rotterdam Cruises to the Baltic Sea
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

EE1835
Though listed as suitable for 3 people, it'd be rather cramped with 3. It's a good cabin for 2, conveniently located near the the gangway and tenders, and not noisy at all. Plenty of storage space available.

Port
Reputedly, it almost always rains in Bergen. In truth, not so: we had a nice, sunny day. Be prepared for lines if you want to take the funicular up to Mount Floyen. However, it's rather efficient, and from joining the line to taking my first photo from the top took about a total of 30 minutes, so not too bad at all.
Read 334 Bergen Reviews
Port
From Langelinie it's a bit of a hike toward the town center, but you'll pass by the Little Mermaid statue and it's a pleasant waterfront stroll, so not too bad at all.
Port
Edinburgh is a majestic city, with lots and lots to see. Definitely worth a more thorough visit in the future. Shuttle buses ran from the South Queensferry pier right into the city center, so those were a lot more convenient than the train.
Port
Unfortunately, we didn't moor at the Akerhus pier but a little further out to the west of Oslo. Still, easy access to the city, even on foot (although the Norwegian cyclists are madmen...). Plenty of things to see and do, too.
Read 224 Oslo Reviews
Published 06/17/12
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Rotterdam Review
Rotterdam Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?