Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Plutodog

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Dining 5+

Not as good as I hoped
I booked my trip on the Carnival Dream for my honeymoon. One of my relatives had took this cruise about a year ago and highly recommended the Carnival Dream to us. I originally wanted to sail Royal Caribbean Oasis or Allure but my wife and I were familiar with the atmosphere of Carnival as I sailed with them once before and my wife twice before.

As Carnival Dream is a bigger ship, I thought there would be some great amenities, however I was saddened to learn that as a bigger ship, it seems to be much of the same as the smaller ships. I felt claustrophobic in the fun shops, the size of those stores appeared to remain unchanged.

The food I thought was really good. I read a lot of other reviews about the food being bad. There were so many options for food, some days I had to have 2 lunches. One experience I highly recommend is the steakhouse, high quality food for only $30 a person. Not bad at all.

My wife and I booked the Ocean Suite for our honeymoon. All I can say is wow!! The room was so big, well decorated, plenty of storage, a full size whirlpool tub in the bathroom. I don't think I would ever stay in anything other than a suite ever again.

Our steward was awesome, every time we left the room and came back, always greeted us by first names. The room was always done up when we got back to the room.

The customer service the ship is ok. I say that because, yes, all employees say hi to you, will clear your table, but everything outside of that tends to be a battle. We went down to guest services one night because we were reviewing our sail and sign account, and a alcoholic drink we had not purchased was billed to our account. All we wanted was the charge removed, just an $8 charge. It was quite an ordeal.

While on our cruise an unfortunate thing happened where a passenger had to be air lifted off the ship. I do hope they are ok. The ship had to turn around and head towards Puerto Rico where the ship met up with a Coast Guard helicopter and the passenger was taken off.

For the next day and a half we were full steam back to Florida, I never felt a ship tilt and turn so much. But it was in that day and a half that the level of customer service Carnival Cruise Lines provides...or doesn't in this case showed.

We first learned that Carnival Cruise Lines does nothing for you unless you book directly through them..so a bit of advice there. We waited in line for an hour only for Guest Services to tell you to up to your room to call your airline. Carnival Cruise Line did open up the phone lines in your room to dial out and waive the $3.99/min charge, but with 4000 people calling out, we couldn't get through to our airline after hours of trying. I finally decided to use my cell phone and fight the charges later if there were any.

Carnival Cruise still charged you to use the Internet however to try to connect to your airline, which I later learned that the Internet on the ship is run by a separate company.

Disembarking was a nightmare, especially trying to get the people off the ship who needed to make their flights. We originally booked a 1:45pm flight, which one would think is plenty of time seeing how the shop was suppose to dock at 8am but didn't get in until noon. Carnival let off all self assists and zones 1-3 to get off the ship, there just could have been a bit more organization on Carnivals part, and every time you asked a crew member a question it was always a different answer.

In conclusion, Carnival really does have some beautiful ships, the entertainment on board is good, with their shows, casino, food, waterslides, spa. But Carnival had a day and half to come up with a plan, and just dropped the ball completely in my eyes.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will sail Carnival again, it did make for a memorable honeymoon however.

Publication Date: 06/18/12