Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by peggy33436: Entertainment good, ship ok, service and food disappointing

peggy33436
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Alaska Cruises

Entertainment good, ship ok, service and food disappointing

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We were a total of 11 travelers, in 4 cabins, coming from South Florida to Seattle for a friends and family cruise experience to Alaska. The cruise overall was ok, but not great like I had expected.

Issue 1: our cabin steward was non-existent. We were in a handicapped cabin (great if you want extra roominess) with a special type of shower. On the first day, I told him the shower leaked and that we needed extra towels to sop up the water. No towels, no one looking into the leaking problem. Second day, same thing. Every day, I had to go search out the cleaning cart and snag 3 or 4 towels from there. You would have thought that this would have been addressed by the crew immediately but it was in fact NEVER addressed.

Issue 2: I know we were a large party, but even when we were willing to split up into several tables, we were only able to eat at the buffet by sitting outside on the back of the ship. Buffet lines were long every meal I attended.

Issue More 3: in the non-paid restaurants, the staff was indifferent at best, and in one instance in Summer Palace the waitress was down right rude. Never, in the 5 nights that we ate in the Summer Palace and/or Indigo, did anyone come to our table to take orders from the bar. My 19 year old daughter, who looks about 15, went to the Blue Lagoon restaurant by herself to get a snack. After 45 minutes, her food had not arrived and the waiter didn't even know what happened to her order. Our experience in Cagney's Steakhouse was awesome, but you should not have to pay a lot of money to get excellent service on a cruise. Also, I hate the fact that most of the restaurants carry an additional fee. I feel that 75% of the dining options on the ship should be included in the fare, not 25%.

Issue 4: We paid $20 per person for the Presumed Murdered Luncheon. What a disappointment! The show was ok, but nothing great. The food was lousy. There was only ONE option for the meal, and it wasn't even anything special. I would definitely skip this event. Issue 5: Our itinerary had us in Skagway for 13 hours. Trust me - it is a tiny little town with a bunch of shops, and there is not a whole lot to do. We were in Ketchikan for much less time, and didn't get to do everything we wanted. So - less time in Skagway, more time in Ketchikan. Issue 6: The gymnasium is small. Sure, it's not crowded most of the day, but the one time when everyone wants to go, first thing in the morning, it is a madhouse. I asked if there was a way to sign up for an elliptical machine, but they had no system for that so I literally had to stand behind someone whose machine showed that they only had a few minutes left in their workout, waiting for them to finish. A better organized system would make it much better.
In summary, I would rate this Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Pearl as a mediocre trip, and would not recommend it to my friends Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl 8100

This is a handicapped access limited view room that sleeps 3. The view is really not blocked at all, though, which was quite nice. The room and bathroom are extra large so that it can accommodate people in wheel chairs. This gave us lots of room. I didn't feel cramped at all! The shower is sort of messy - the curtain and drain system, which are set up for handicapped access, leave you with water on the bathroom floor after just about every shower. Request extra towels every day. Also, even though the bathroom was large, there was very little shelf space. I consider the location of the room to be ideal for an Alaska cruise - central to everything. I think if I were on a Caribbean cruise, though, I would want to be closer to the pool area.

Dog Sledding

(5)
We booked the dog sledding with ERA independent of the cruise line. With a $100 per person savings times 5 of us going, it was worth the risk. Our experience with ERA was top notch. I cannot say enough good things about the way we were treated every minute of the way.

Adventure Kart Expedition

(5)
So much fun, lovely views, great lunch and cookies!

Zip-lining

(5)
A ton of fun! After a short, scenic bus ride, we were brought to the 'Alaska Canopy Adventures' site, where we suited up and got instructions. The staff was very thorough and I felt completely safe with them. Zip Lining itself was so much fun, and the views from the tops of the trees was beautiful. We even zipped over a family of 3 bears!!