Viking Pride Cruise Review by senior12: Holiday Markets

Holiday Markets

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

My wife lived in South America when she was young, her father was an oil field engineer. My father was career military and we both traveled a lot as children and as young adults.

We wanted to go to Europe but did not want to pack get on a bus and travel to a new city every day. We did not want an ocean cruise because we both get sea sick very easily. We did want to be pampered a bit and see some places neither of us had been to before.

The choices were:

at least 10 days long
to stay in one place and take day trips or a river cruise.

Then we set a budget and researched the different river cruise lines and the cruises they offered. We then settled on the time of year we would travel, then researched the river cruise lines again to see which ones matched our dates and budgets. To our surprise Viking had it all and did not nickel and dime us a lot. There were some extra money spent for special excursions but not a lot. We also had to pay for our More airfare; but the fair through Viking was better than I could get my self. The weather was a bit cold for us, being from the San Antonio area. But we really enjoyed the entire experience. The new places, the snow, the cold, exploring, meeting new people, shopping, food, the ship, the crew, and everything else I may have left out, it was great and we might just do it again. But we have just been informed we will finally be grandparents and may not want to be gone that long.

The airline lost one bag and would not deliver it to the ship. They contacted us when we got home and delivered it the first night we were home. Less

Read more Viking Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Pride 207

What can I say it was only 170 square feet, but how big does a room to sleep in have to be. It had more than enough room to hang our clothes in the closet, ample drawer storage, a safe for valuables and passports, a bathroom big enough to do what we needed to do, although just one at a time. The cabins on this river ship were all the same size. The premium prices were paid for location and higher decks. But it was winter and since the ship usually moved at night what were we going to look at, at 2:00 AM. So we purposely chose the deck and cabin since it cost less and was as big as the others. We got up and down the stairs to the restaurant very easily. We enjoyed the cabin more than enough to stay in it for hours at a time when we needed to rest after a long day of walking. I heard no complaints from anyone about their cabins, and the steward was wonderful. I began to think he lived under the bed as fast as it was made up in the morning and turned down at night for bed. Amazing is what I would call the whole experience. If you haven't done it try it out.