Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Instructor Carol: Queen Mary 2

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Queen Mary 2

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My father (age 81) and I (29 and holding) have taken over 20 cruises on a variety of different lines. He was on the original Queen Mary; we sailed on the QE2 approx. 10 years ago and then did a 12 day Mediterranean cruise 3 years ago. We just returned from our 2nd transatlantic on the QE2 and was greatly disappointed. I had my 18 year old daughter along this trip and through her eyes (and I agree with her), this was an old person 's cruise! Even though the service of the crew and staff remained impeccable, the food quality had declined greatly since our last trip and the activities and entertainment was sorely lacking.
She and I attended the planetarium shows (only 2 offered throughout the voyage) and many of the other events offered that we were interested in, involved extra charges, which I felt were unnecessary. The lecturer series' offered were not varied enough and the free offerings were the usual. The high points for my 18 year old were the afternoon tea and karaoke and More trivia in the pub. My father however, was "in his glory" with the formal events, the balls, the big band music, and all the travelers in his age range to reminisce about the"good old days". The food quality was a great disappointment, since we had extraordinary meals on the Queen Victoria.
This is definitely a cruise for "the older folks" who do not want to be constantly entertained and are looking for just some R&R and a different way to travel to New York or London. My family however, will not be sailing on Cunard again! Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2)

Inside cabin - space, storage and bathroom were better than expected!