Golden Princess Cruise Review by alaskajames: Alaska A WOW Factor Cruise!!!

alaskajames
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Alaska Cruises

Alaska A WOW Factor Cruise!!!

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Overall this was an amazing enjoyable Cruise. My son and I didnt know what to expect.... but honestly our expectations wete exceeded in almost every area.

TRAVEL TO PORT:

We traveled to Seattle the day before and toured Pikes Place Market, the Space Needle and the beautiful outside and inside glass gallery. We stayed at the Olive 8 Hyatt in downtown Seattle and took the monarail from the airport to the hotel for about $3 one way. Walked about 2 blocks to the hotel after the last metro stop.

SHIP INFORMATION:

I sailed on the Golden Princess when it first came out in 2002. It was the biggest ship on the water at that time. I thought it was great then and with the refurbishment its even better now. Constant maintenance, cleaning and painting were a constant on many areas of the ship during our cruise.

DINING:

Overall I thought the food was good. Was it five star quality, NO, but very good. We had most of our meals in the dining room, or More specialty restaurants. We were able to eat breakfast in Sabatini's because we were in a suite, So breakfast was made to specific requests.

We ate in the buffet a few tines and the food was OK and filling, but not n par with the other dining options,

I highly recommend Sabatinis or the Crown Grill. Even though their is a small surcharge the meals are well worth it. These are dining experiences and last two or three hours. A must do at least one
or two nights during your cruise.

I also reallt enjoyed the 24 hour international cafe. Always great sandwiches, salads, soups and especially those amazind deserts.

One minor announce was that no one seemed to know how to cook your steak. Almost everytime when ordering my steak "medium" it was always "well done," so I just idered it "rear" after tgefirst coupke of days on the cruise and it was fine.

Abother great surprise was on sea days the crown grill did a British Style Pub Lunch, which was different and cery good. The Fish and Chips were fantastic.STATEROOM:

We booked a mini-suite and were offered a full upgrade to a full suite a couple of weeks before cruising. There was an additional reasonable charge but well worth it. We were on the Caribe Deck in cabin C751 on the back of the ship, The additional perks that come with a full suite are amazing, Free Internet, free Laundry and Dry Cleaning, expanded room service menu, and breakfast every morning in Sabatini's is worth it if you can afford it.
The view from the back of the ship is awesome, quite, and provides a unique view while sailing. Yoy get a total view and can see on either side of the ship as well. It is my favorite place to be on a cruise ship.PORT and SHORE EXCURSIONS:

The ports on the inside passage were Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan as well as scenic cruising in Tracy Arm Fjord.

Each port had interesting things to visit. But the highlight for me was the scenic cruising in Tracy Arm Fjord. Words cannot describe this amazing beautiful place. From waterfalls, to glaciers and brillant deep blue icebergs its a must see, not to mention all the wildlife thats on display.

Another highlight was the naturalist on board who provided detailed commentary during our scenic cruising in Tracy Arm but offered four separate lectures that were insightful, educational, and very enjoyable.

SUMMARY. An amazing cruise and probably my most enjoyable on Princess. Another plus was the great weather and No Rain. It was so graet that I booked a return cruise to Alaska next summer to visit Sitka, Haines, and Glacier Bay. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Suite with Balcony Caribe Deck C751

Caribe Deck C751 Aft. This is a great cabin with a great view on the back of the ship. Even though their is a beam it.s really not a big deal. The room was a full suite with a full shower and full bath tub. Its a very quiet location on the ship. No public noise above or below you. A roomy balcony, a large walk in closet and plenty of interior room. You do however, feel some vibration from time to time especially when going in and out of a port, I take this room again anytime!!!

Mendenhall Glacier

(5.5)
A great experience and photo expedition. We had an excellent guide and photographer that was friendly and very knowlegeable.

Whale Watching

(5)
We toured on a small boat and spent about two hours on the water. We saw eagle, harbor seals, orca whales and sea otters. We were up close and personal which resulted in amazing photo opportunities.

A charming city that's great to explore on a walking tour. Be sure to visit Creek Street and explore the diverse history of this amazing city from the past.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(5.5)
This is a must tour for anyone coming to Skagway. This 3 hour round trip is scenic and breath taking around every turn. Words can hardly describe this adventure on a narrow gauge railroad. Do Not Miss out on this tour and book early before your cruise.

Butchart Gardens

(5.5)
This is another Must See when you come to Victoria. However we were only in this port about 5 total hours and only had two hours to visit these gardens, You Need several hours to enjoy this amazing place.