Carnival Pride Cruise Review by sapphirejade: Early 20s First Time Cruising Couple With Mixed Reviews

sapphirejade
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Early 20s First Time Cruising Couple With Mixed Reviews

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

It was our first cruise and had the intention of keeping our cruise relatively inexpensive. It was to celebrate our college graduations, so neither of us had money to spare. We are a younger couple in our early 20s. Neither of us are big drinkers or gamblers, nor are we really into the partying scene so take this review with that in mind.

Good/Great:

-Room: Our room, an interior room on the 7th deck aft, was great! I really think it was one of the best parts. It's much larger than you would expect and there were three large closest to put our things. Our bathroom had more than enough shelf space for all of our toiletries and even the bathroom itself was more spacious than I thought it would be. The beds are comfy and we had no issues with our AC/Heating units as some people have said. It was a dungeon when the lights were off. Combined with the gentle rocking of our bed, we had a wonderful night sleep every time.

-Steward: Our steward was wonderful. He knew our More names by the time we entered our room. Every night and day, he managed to slip in when we weren't there and tidy up our room to perfection. I always thought it was clean. Our turn down service was wonderful. It was so relaxing to enter our room and see our chocolates and Fun Times laid out on our bed at night and know that we didn't have to lift a finger. He went above and beyond to make our experience wonderful and I so appreciated it. I never saw him without a smile.

-Embarkation/Debarkation: Others have already commented on how easy and fast it was. I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone worked like a well oiled machine.
-Ship's Layout: Though the ship was large, once you understood the layout, it was easy to navigate. Very practical. Hallways were large enough to accommodate everyone and I never felt like I was on top of anyone when I was relaxing on the decks-- granted we stayed FAR away from the two main pools.

The OK:

-Adults Only area: This was a 21-only space and an absolutely wonderful area. They spent extra money to put comfy cushions and lounge chairs all around. It's at the back of the ship, far away from the other two main pools so the noise is quite minimum. It is an oasis... however, if you were there after 9 AM it was nearly impossible to get a space here, ESPECIALLY since people blatantly ignored the "No Reserving Seats" rule. (I watched one of the coveted circular seats be "reserved" by just one flip flop from the group of girls next to it. Granted, you could apparently complain to the Carnival crew and they would take care of it, but it would've been much better if they were more proactive, considering lines would often form to grab a spot.) Finally, if you're down here, get used to the bar service pushing their drinks once every five or ten minutes.

-The Entertainment: We went to the nightclub... once. No one, NO ONE was dancing. Yea, it was relatively early, but honestly, it was just dead. We walked in and walked out. Awful. Then the big productions. Thank goodness they were free or I would've wanted my money back. The dancers weren't bad and the main male lead was excellent. Spot on. My problem-- and the problem of several other cruisers as I found out-- was the female lead, Erin Andrews. She could not seem to get the right key, nor could she articulate her words. Her strut-- look out for it as you watch the show, you won't be able to STOP seeing it-- was the most aggravating thing. And, this is what absolutely BLEW my mind, she cannot dance. Watch for it. You'll notice that she sneaks off during all the scenes and when she does "dance" it's just the simplest choreography. In contrast, the male lead was clearly trained in dance and did wonderful, making his numbers the best of all the shows. It actually got to the point where I groaned audibly when she got on the stage. I don't understand why they keep her around, surely there are more talented singers who can actually dance that want her job...

The Bad:

-Service in the Main Dining Room: It was always hit or miss with them, usually a miss. We had the anytime dining and typically were sat on the starboard side. After a series of cold dinners and long waits-- one time we sat watching our food for TWENTY minutes sit on the service line before it was actually taken to our table, of course it was freezing cold by the time it got to us. Eventually we caught on and would ask to be seated in another section. We DID find a wonderful service team with three days left of our vacation on the port side-- highly recommend sitting with Ariel's team as it was the only one where we felt we were taken care of.

-Mermaid Grill: The food in the Mermaid Grill was awful. I hated eating there. The eggs are the worst thing you'll ever eat, doused in salt. Bleh. Eventually we started to just skip the grill and order room service instead which had much better standards.

-Decor: Pretty tacky. Like, really tacky.

The Verdict:
Overall, our cruise was about $1,050-- we actually got money back from Carnival on our last day. This included a few minutes on the wi-fi, a shore excursion and a copy of a formal picture we took. Again, we don't drink soda or alcohol, so we didn't have those expenses. In all, it was worth the money. We had a wonderful trip and didn't feel like we were missing out on anything. However, I don't think I will sail with Carnival again. The way I compared it was like staying at the Red Roof Inn versus possibly staying at the Hilton-- it was good for the money and comfortable, but it left something to be desired. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Interior Main

You arrive at Freeport's industrial port, which is a bit disconcerting when you come from the wonder of Half Moon Cay. If you don't have any shore excursions booked, you have a choice of either staying at the very small, very touristy section near the ship or taking a taxi for 10 dollars (round trip) to Port Lucaya. You don't get any other option. At Port Lucaya, you can go to the public beach where they have jet skis & other water sports for a relatively reasonable price-- don't forget to haggle-- or go shopping at the marketplace. The marketplace, unfortunately, is really just a big tourist trap. There are straw markets which sell the same things and then the bigger cruise-approved shops. It did have some good restaurants, but you don't get enough time to check them out. Also, many of the shops open much later in the day so you wander around with nothing to do for an hour or two until they open. Kind of a let down. The saving grace of this port is, by far, the pleasant nature of the people here. They are so kind and caring. We were crammed in the front of a taxi on the way back to the ship and had a wonderful time talking to the driver about the island and his culture. He was a very interesting man and though it was cramped, I'm glad we had that experience!
Read 771 Freeport Reviews

Kayaking

(5)
We went with Oasis Divers and did the eco-kayaking clear bottom tour. It was wonderful. Andre, our guide, was so knowledgeable, kind and patient with us. We were used to kayaking already, so he let us roam around the bay as we wanted when we were journeying to our destination. You felt comfortable and safe with him. I learned a lot about the foliage and the animals of the island. We got the chance to watch him harvest a conch from its shell and taste raw conch if you like. (If you're not comfortable, he lets the group vote and you are welcome to take a step back and walk around the island while he's doing this). It was a wonderful experience. I always felt safe and it was so beautiful looking through the bottom of the boat. Definitely put this on your to-do list while in Grand Turk.

This island was the most amazing place I've ever seen. It takes your breath away. Walk far down the island, to where the stacks of beach chairs end. It's far enough away from the sound of the bars and less people go there. It was heaven-- I almost wanted to miss the boat just to stay there forever.