“All in All, a Very Nice Trip”
Cruise review of Holland America Westerdam

lauriebumps Westerdam 4 All in All, a Very Nice Trip
lauriebumps
Member Since 2004
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Starting from the beginning... embarkation in Seattle was easy-breezy. There were plenty of chairs in the waiting area and we were on the ship in less than 30 minutes. This was a big improvement over the 1+ hour wait with no chairs in the LA Port on a Princess cruise last year. Our bags were in the cabin before us and the stewards were helpful and friendly throughout the trip. The towel creations and chocolates were a big hit. This was our 1st Holland America cruise. The ship was kept very clean, including our cabin. However, our cabin's furnishings were a bit run down. (EX: The fabric on the sofa was worn, the deck chair cushion was torn, the side table was chipped)The queen bed was very comfortable. Our 12 year old daughter said her sofa bed was on the lumpy side but she conked out pretty quickly each night. Speaking of our daughter -- she loved, loved, loved Club HAL. Had a great time with the staff and fellow kids. During our Alaska cruise they got to talk with Park Rangers about the Glaciers and were named honorary junior rangers. As for me and my husband -- we loved, loved, loved the Library Cafe on the Observation Deck. Great, comfy lounge chairs, a nice selection of books and amazing views! We also loved, loved, loved the chefs in the dining room. Some of the best cruise food we've enjoyed. The Lido Buffet was less impressive. The food was OK but not of the same quality as the food that was served in the dining room (although my daughter and I were big fans of the ice cream!) And Holland America's 48 hour policy regarding no-self service (in order to reduce the spread of viruses)is probably sound but it really slows down the buffet and creates long, frustrating lines. We enjoyed the ship's comedian/magician and the bon voyage show and my daughter was a big fan of the free movie rentals. My husband and daughter had fun on the Dog Musher Camp excursion in Juneau and they also enjoyed the zipline in Ketchikan. My husband had a great time on the mountain biking excursion in Sitka. I took some independent historic tours and strolled through various port towns. On and off the ship the views of the glaciers, mountains and forests were truly beautiful. All-in-all it was a fun, enjoyable trip that resulted in some nice photos and many good memories.
Westerdam Cruises to Alaska

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Westerdam Review
Westerdam Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?