“A standard of standardness”
Cruise review of Carnival Splendor

jgreenwo17 Carnival Splendor 3 A standard of standardness
jgreenwo17
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This is a classic case of buying the itinerary. My DW had never been to Mexico so we remedied that problem and booked a cruise on the Splendor. Having sailed on the Spirit, (Really good Carnival ship), I thought we would take a crack on the pink monster. Embarkation was a breeze, I figure we were in the thick of the crowds boarding and were still on board having lunch in about an hour. We booked a spa interior cabin so we could get a free pass to the Spa amenities. I feel this is a great deal. You get better linens, robes, nicer bedding, etc. I was worried about the possibility of noise coming from upstairs, and thought I was crafty enough to get on the starboard side as to avoid direct noise from the machines above. I thought I was smart with my selection until we heard the elevator behind our bed. (What was I thinking) Also to my horror, I smelled the last occupants vomit, (Sorry), from the moment I walked into our stateroom. I quickly summoned the steward and he said he would take care of it. He worked his arse off trying to deal with the smell. The condition got better but not resolved. In hindsight, I should have gone to the front desk. I really did not want to deal with them. Anyway..... The ports were a blast. The excursions were fun, especially Rhythms of the night. The comedy, and stage shows were fun as well. The comedy shows that follow the stage shows are miles apart on the ship. Two times we had to give up since we could not find seats and opt for a later show.Food was fair to great. I wished I ordered more things in the MDR. I thought the Brisket on the comfort food menu was the worst I have ever had, but the Italian fish one night was incredible. The Tandoori station also was good. The pink decor is probably what helped the last occupant get sick in my stateroom. The wallpaper must have been on sale. They should really do something about it. I never got used to it. Overall I was happy to just be cruising in spite of the ship's issues. (sigh)
Carnival Splendor Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Cloud 9 Spa Interior

4S1019
Inside spa stateroom would have been better without past guest getting sick in our room. Spa elevator behind bed was a big mistake.

Sea kayaking and lover's beach snorkel was beautiful. Los Claros across the street from the mall has the best fish tacos and quesadillas in the world. We hired a local tour guide named Benjamin. Great city tour. The glass factory is worth a visit.
City Tour
Benjamin in Cabo told us to look for Bob when we got in PV. Bob hooked us up with a private tour for $60.00. Worth every penny. Did tequila tasting, shopping and great sightseeing. Do not miss Rhythms of the night. Great food, show, boat ride to and fro.
Published 06/15/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Splendor Review
Carnival Splendor Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?