Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cruisequeen76: The jury is out on this one...

cruisequeen76
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

The jury is out on this one...

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I booked this cruise for three reasons. 1. I was excited to spend time with friends, 2. I had never sailed on Celebrity before, 3. I had never visited Bermuda. This was my 13th cruise, and I consider myself somewhat of an expert on what should and should not happen on a cruise ship.

Let me start by saying that I found embarkation and boarding the ship pretty much identical to what I've experienced on other cruise lines. Everyone was efficient and pleasant getting us on board. One thing I really liked was that they had cocktail servers handing out free champagne when you got on board. I thought that was a really nice touch.

I listed my stateroom as 3043, but I only received this stateroom after I was moved from my original room which was 3014. I was moved on the second night of the cruise because I had complained about a horrible banging noise outside my window and a creaking ceiling panel in the room that was half falling off. The noise in this cabin was More absolutely unbearable and I got no sleep the entire first night of my cruise. When the night supervisor form the Guest Relations desk came to my room he immediately said, "This is unacceptable. I will move you if there is a room available." I am so thankful that there was a room available for me, and a cabin steward was immediately sent to my room to move me across the hall to the other room. I was moved into my new home in less than five minutes. It was that efficient. I was impressed. The next day after I arrived back at my room from breakfast, there was a gorgeous bouquet of flowers on my table and a bottle of champagne along with a letter of apology from the Guest Relations Desk. That was a touch of class that I found to be very thoughtful.

The food on the cruise was the second best food I've had on board a cruise ship. The best food I've ever eaten in the main dining room of any ship was on the Holland America Westerdam. She is also my favorite ship of all I've sailed on, but I will not go into detail about that since I am reviewing another ship. Our dining room waiters for our fixed seating dinner were very kind and attentive, but I feel that their kindness was more of a memorized dialogue than sincerity. This brings me to the service on this ship in general. In my opinion, something was "off." The best way I can explain is that I felt as though the staff was being nice only because they had to be. It seemed that many crew members had a memorized form of behavior. No one seemed to really get to know me personally as they have on previous cruise lines. Everything was rote and impersonal to me. This was made apparent to me when a friend I was traveling with approached out Assistant waiter on the last day of the cruise to ask him a question during an open seating brunch, and he didn't even recognize him. If you sit at someone's dinner table for 7 nights in a row and they can't remember you this is an indication that they are only "doing their jobs" and personally don't care about the guests.

I found the decor of my stateroom to be weird. There were mirrors in front of the bed which made me feel like some sort of exhibition. The room was also very plain almost like a hospital room. In regard to my room, my stateroom attendant in my new room was the worst I've ever had and I had his gratuities taken off my on board account. There was hair in my shower drain every day that was never removed, the counters were never wiped down and had water rings on them from the last passengers, and the soap scum on the bathroom counter was worse than I've seen in a bathroom at a truck stop! For the amount of money I paid (including a single supplement), I felt ripped off by the way my room was kept.

The activities on board were your typical cruise activities consisting of Broadway style and Vegas style shows, comedians, bingo, music performers, etc. None of them stood out as stellar with the exception of the Flamenco guitarist they had on board. His music was so beautiful it made me cry a few times.

Bermuda was beautiful, and I can see why people say it is their favorite island to visit. The people were wonderful, our lunch at the Frog and Onion Pub was INCREDIBLE, and the island was pretty and well kept. The only minus was the overcast weather, but even that wound up being ok as it did not rain the entire time. I think it only sprinkled once the entire 3 days we were there.

Would I sail Celebrity again...probably. However, it is not the equivalent of Holland America Line which is my favorite cruise line that Ive sailed so far. Celebrity needs a lot of work to really be considered a Premium cruise line in my opinion. I was disappointed. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Oceanview Stateroom Penthouse Deck (6) 3043

Cabin 3014 too noisy. Cabin 3043 was nice but the mirrored walls creeped me out.