Thomson Dream Cruise Review by TheDream2012**: Treasures of the Mediterranean

Treasures of the Mediterranean

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Las Palmas

I was very dubious about going on a cruise because of all the bad press with regards to the ship that sank earlier this year however I am completely converted. I felt totally safe and as someone who also suffers from sea sickness I can honestly say I wasn't ill once which even I couldn't believe!Anyway back to business, one of the main reasons I did want to go on a cruise is so that I had the opportunity to visit lots of different places I'd always wanted to go but wasn't sure I really wanted to take a holiday in those places in case I didn't like it as they are mainly cities. What a fantastic holiday probably one of the best I've ever had.

We went on the Thompson Dream Treasures of the Mediterranean because we stopped in Naples for Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius, Civitavecchia for Rome, Villefranche for Monte Carlo (and the grand prix was on we couldn't believe our luck). These were the main stops for us and what a wonderful opportunity to see the sights I'd dreamt of seeing More since I was a little girl. We did have other stops however the ones I've mentioned were definitely the highlight for us so much so that we will be going to Rome in February for a long weekend.

A lot of reviews talk about the ship entertainment, food etc but they were first class and I would have to be a misery guts to complain about anything on board. Cruising for me allowed us to fulfill a dream and I will and am a converted cruiser. Looking at Egypt and the holy-land as our next trip because cruising allows you to live out a dream seeing things I never thought I would in a completely comfortable relaxing environment and meeting exiting and interesting people along the way. Can't wait to plan our next trip. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 5012

As we had never been on a cruise we really didn't know what to expect but the rooms were great, comfortable, clean with a lovely little bathroom with everything you could possibly need.

Mt. Vesuvius

(5)
Wow what can I say. It was amazing I've never seen anything like it. Completely took our breath away walking around Pompeii in the morning was surreal lunch at a traditional restaurant then onto Mt Vesuvius even though the weather was really bad this made the trip for me battling the element to get to the top was fantastic. What a wonderful day.

I've been to Palma before so just got off the ship and took a short bus ride to the centre had a walk round the cathedral and a few drink in a local cafe. Wonderful to just look around at my own pace.

City Tour

(5)
We did the Express Rome in one day which was a really long day but gave us a snapshot of most of the main sights in Rome, we loved it and saw so much my eyes couldn't keep up with everything we were being shown. We decided that we would like more time in Rome so have decided to have a weekend early next year but because we have been we would feel much better and more confident getting around this amazing city.

Wasn't really much to see again looked around the small town saw the Churches and had a few drinks. We didn't spend long off the ship as the port was small. We wished we had booked a trip to be honest.
Read 100 Sardinia Reviews

We couldn't take an organised tour because of the grand prix so we went on our own which was great. Got off the boat, jumped on a train (return ticket 5 euros)and after 15 minutes we had arrived right in the heart of the practice run. The sounds, smells, atmosphere was like nothing I've ever experienced. We were so lucky that we were there at this time.