Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by needsavaction03

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by needsavaction03
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: needsavaction03
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: E2
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

some what a good cruise
first off just want to start by saying this is not my first cruise with Royal Caribbean. Have sailed their smaller ships leaving out of Florida. First time leaving from Cape Liberty.

O.K. So everything seemed to be going great. Parking lot is right by ship. Dropping your luggage off with porters looked more confusing then it actually was. After dropping luggage off then off to park car. After parking car you can take a shuttle from the parking lot back to the tent so that you can go through security and set up your sea pass account. By the time we caught the shuttle to the ship is was about 1 hour after we got to the pier.

So this is where my review takes a quick negative moment. So your rooms are not ready to after 2 pm. Which means that You can either go to windjammer or go up to the pool decks. Well the day we left the weather was so bad. Cold, off and on rain. Which means you are stuck going up to the windjammer till your cabin is ready. My problem with that is very simple. Just think how many people are on the ship the windjammer is not that big, besides you have mostly everyone saying tables so that makes it even harder to find some where to eat and enjoy your food. I did go on this cruise with my older parents both in late 60s. Some days is was so hard to find a table we would take food out to sit by the pool. NOT HELPFUL....

After we finally found a spot to sit down and eat an announcement was made that cabin rooms were ready... OK here goes the SECOND NEGATIVE COMMENT...

When I booked this cruise over a year ago I was guaranteed 2 twin beds and a pull out sofa for myself. Well our room had no such pull out sofa. It was actually a pull out bed from the ceiling. Like hello i'm 30 something years old enjoying my cruise vacation which means I will be drinking every night why on earth would I want to climb on top of my sleeping parents on to a bed that pulls out from the ceiling. I had approached my room steward who truly looked at me like I was stupid. She just did not understand why I was so upset, so she tells me to go down to the guest relations desk. Well that was another bad encounter. Apparently they didn't see anything wrong with that as well. All this was going down as we were getting ready to sail out, so ROYAL CARIBBEAN robbed me of a great sail off... Long story short after I flipped at guest relations they had the housekeeping supervisor come up to see if he can move some furniture around for me. THANK GOD FOR HIM. cause if not I don't think I would have been able to make it to the ports because ROYAL CARIBBEAN would have removed me at the first port.

NEXT NEAGTIVE COMMENT. ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS ICE SHOWS which are amazing. The bad part. Tickets distribution are handled very poorly. They only have 3 shows 800 tickets per show. They had out these tickets second day at 10 am in the MDR. Basically you need to line up the night before to guarantee a ticket. I never got any tickets. I was fortunate to meet a group who were not going to use there tickets and gave it to me. There are some nice people out there.

Bermuda not much to see unless you want to spend a lot of money. My advise stay on the ship and enjoy the peace while everyone is out at port.

St. Maarten. LOVED IT. Take the water taxi $6 round trip as many times as you would like for the day. BEST PORT. Beach is right there for $20 you can get two chairs a umbrella, and two drinks. Well worth it. The water is amazing. SO BLUE.

Next Port Puerto Rico, my view waste of a port. We docked 7:15 and left PR at 12:15. We actually left 4 people behind cause they did not board in time. But there is a CVS right down the street you can get off and get whatever you may need for the rest of your trip.

Labadee is great, only problem far walk from pier to the actually beach. Royal does offer a tender to bring to Nelly's beach but the tender is only one way which means that Its a long long hot walk back to pier. Sucked for both parents cause it was too much for them to walk. Also, with Labadee they charge for everything. Not for chairs but if you want to use the coaster, or Aqua park for the kids. Royal Caribbean should really rethink this. People are spending thousands on a vacation with multiple kids. For a family of 3 or more kids it becomes a little expensive. But the island is so beautiful. Had balcony stateroom so as soon as we docked it was a amazing sight to see. Another good aspect of the trip is there are soooo many lounge chairs in Labadee so don't worry yourself about getting off the ship early to go to the island for chairs, also the Haitians that work on the island will gladly move a few chairs around for a small tip. AGAIN If you been to LABADEE, you might just want to stay on the ship cause when everyone gets off you basically have the ship to yourself.

Great parts of cruise. #1 Windjammer cafe has stir fry table. ITS AMAZING. fresh and great tasting, MUCH BETTER THEN THE MAIN DINING ROOM #2 The parties on the ship were great. I am single and it was amazing to me the amount people that I met. Every night there was a party some where. Midnight buffet I believe on the 4Th night which was cool. #3 There is always something to do. #4 Cafe Promenade had food all the time. No matter what time of the day or night they had food for you.

Heard the ship is going in to dry dock. I needs it. Doesn't really show her age but a lot of outdated amenities.

Publication Date: 06/13/12