Carnival Magic Cruise Review by jwbridge

Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 6A
        16+ 2.0

Carnival Magic--ugh!
Cruising out of Galveston in June left us no real option other than Carnival. I had low expectations and I was still extremely disappointed.

Food was mediocre at best. The highlight was the chocolate cake with ice cream--had that each night and it was great. Fried shrimp literally looked like something from a frozen box of Gordon's. Lobster night was nice except that my son got food poisoning--a nice bonus. I suggest that you pack a bucket that you can carry around to throw up in.

The rooms were as nice as any other cruise line--Royal Caribbean, etc. However, ours did not cool very well. More importantly, be careful where you are on the boat. We were on deck 6 right above the casino. I promise that it sounded like they were playing craps right there in our bathroom. At least they finally quieted down by 2am or so. Also, even though we had a balcony, there was a hot tub right below us outside! Every time you wanted to have some privacy and enjoy your patio, there were 4 guests below you looking right at you as you tried to relax. Crazy!

The entertainment was terrible. They actually gave up and had guests perform in the final show. When you are spending so much time at sea, you really need better diversions than what they offered.

If you like to lay in the sun all day when on the ship, this is a great place--my wife loves this. For others, the sport courts and other inside activities were poor. Be careful with the "adult" versions of the comedy shows. You may think that your older teens will be fine hearing a few cuss words. You will not be prepared for the "comedic" topics presented to you with your kids sitting there. Wow! Many walked out (including us). They do warn you but I guess we were still shocked. My cabin attendants were great but all other service was terrible--especially the dining room. Everyone seemed to have a chip on their shoulders. I will sum up my review this way--on the last night, they did a raffle and a nice young lady won a cruise for 2 on Carnival. Had I won, there is no way that I would have taken the trip.

Publication Date: 06/13/12