Carnival Glory Cruise Review by jameshills

Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 4E
Cabin Number: 6-317

Worked the Kinks out For the next Cruises this summer!
I was accused of being more forgiving than others on the ship last week, but I try to be as objective as possible. The reality is that the ship was delayed half a day arriving in port because of "Whale Migration" several weeks before departure and then again the day of, due to fog. This + terrible MassPort security staff at the Port of Boston + gale warnings outside the port of Boston led to a scramble that unfortunately the passengers and crew were not able to recover from.

Carnival though did more than could be expected and gave us $50 OBC to compensate for our after mid-night embarkation and departure the next day instead of the original plans.

This mess unfortunately threw off the entire cadence of the cruise and because of the weather, Lido and the upper decks were closed ... leading to further roughness.

With that out of the way, the Glory is a great ship - with plenty of restaurants that kept us happy (I especially loved the burrito station!). It has a good layout that when everything was open flowed well.

Of particular note is the AWESOME Serenity area (21+ only) with two hot tubs that are PERFECT to sit in and watch the ship leave port. Also, the adults only pool at the rear of the ship was kept at "bath water" temperature so that was wonderful as well.

Our experience in the Platinum MDR (rear) was fantastic as well. Desmond the Maitre D helped us find a fantastic table after we asked for a new one on the first floor. Our head waiter, Jose was by far the best waiter we have ever had and food was always hot and orders were perfect (how Carnival can get me a medium rare prime rib and my wife a medium with 3,000 people vs Outback seeming incapable of doing that I don't have a clue ... but was WONDERFUL!)

Entertainment on board was good, though likely because of items mentioned above, classics like the deck parties etc. weren't really happening and because many of the bars were shut down (this itinerary had a MUCH MUCH older age group than I have previously seen on Carnival), it wasn't the "Fun Ship" atmosphere that I love on Carnival.

Also of note, this itinerary (Boston, Portland, Saint John, Halifax, Sydney) was a lot more expensive than anticipated (outside of cruise fares) ... each port really requires an excursion and cheap options like a cab to the beach or a cab tour of an island (as I usually do in the Caribbean) didn't work so well here since the ports aren't as well developed.

As such, you should add in an average of $100pp / day to get the true cost of this itinerary.

That being said, the ship was routinely 30-60 min late docking / debarkation for each port - so that significantly hampered planned excursions too.

At the end of the day, I see no reason to believe that this won't be resolved quickly as the ports get their kinks worked out and the crew hits the reset button too.

Publication Date: 06/13/12