Avalon Affinity Cruise Review by sunshinexyz

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: P
See More About: Avalon Affinity Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Avalon Waterways Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Avalon Affinity Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Avalon Affinity Deck Plans
Avalon Waterways Three Star that Thinks It is Five star
Since I am a well traveled person and research my trips before I go this was certainly a big disappointment. My travel agent touted this as a good cruise.

However, the food was mediocre and the specials at breakfast were not "special". The service at meals was awful. I had to ask for a Sprite 4 times before I got it. At one meal I and two other ladies were the last to be served even though we ordered with everyone else.

During the first night and subsequent nights where there were cocktail parties. I, as a non-drinker, was not able to get an alternative such as a soft drink or juice to toast with everyone else. I feel I paid for this. I also thought I should be able to get cappuccino in the dining room.

When I appeared in the dining room for lunch and dinner there was no one to greet me or help me find a seat. As a SINGLE TRAVELR I had to go from table to table to see if there was a vacancy. I found this to be very humiliating.

They advertised free Internet. This I count on to conduct business while I am gone. I even brought my own computer. There was no service during more than half the trip. One of the passengers said they thought there was no service contract in Belgium.

When disembarking they called a taxi for me. It cost $25 for a shorter trip than my arrival which was $8.00.

The trip was to be special with a tour of Keukenhof. These are the gardens and fields that one sees in photo brochures with stripes of many colors of tulips EXCEPT we arrived a little too late and portions of the fields were cleared away and just dirt was left. My main objective for the cruise was not achieved.

Another tour stop, "Floriade" was an exhibition that occurred once a every ten years. The guide dumped us at the gate and disappeared without much of a clue as to what the highlights were. This was also disappointing as it was mainly commercial displays most of which were not very interesting.

Personnel who cleaned the room did a good job.

Publication Date: 06/13/12