Costa Serena Cruise Review by Kareni

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Rome
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: E2
See More About: Costa Serena Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Costa Serena Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Serena Deck Plans
Costa Serena - Don't waste your time or money!
Worst cruise ever!!! I have been on over 20 cruises, Azamara, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival and Premier (got to be old to remember that one). I booked the Costa Serena for 8 of us, 2 families with adult children, mostly due to the itinerary.

We embarked in Civitavecchia, Italy (Rome). Most people had embarked in Savona, so embarkation was very quick. Strange thing, they insisted on taking our passports stating that Italian Customs required they keep them in a safe. The passports would be reviewed by authorities prior to disembarkation and returned to us. What if we had an issue in port?? Also in the past 2 years I was on a cruise from Venice and another from Stockholm and was able to keep my passport.

Muster drill was done in English for the few of us English speaking guests onboard. We met in a lounge then up to life boats. Paul, the English speaking host was very informative and stated that the ship would sail at only 50% capacity for this week. Wow, things don't look good for Costa.

Considering the low occupancy rate, I thought it was funny that we were not given any upgrades. I paid full price for 3 cabins back in November and watched the price go down to $299 pp prior to sailing, after final payment. I called my travel agent and Costa to try to get an upgrade or any other type of compensation but they would not budge. You would think that an upgrade that costs them nothing would be good customer service, especially after all the bad press!

Then negatives...

-5 Euro charge for breakfast in your cabin

-2 Euro charge for room service

-10.50 Euro for a vodka and OJ, charge separately for each

-no lido deck buffet for dinner, dining room ONLY for dinner

-dinner menu with very few choices, 2 soups, 2 appetizers, 2 pasta, 4 main

-no steak, fillet or lobster

-breakfast in the dining room was a buffet? Same as lido deck.

- midnight buffet with all the carvings, but no food. Waiters walked around with trays of cookies??

-setting up onboard charges with a machine that didn't work, purser's desk would not help, yes I did it online prior to boarding

-very poor service from onboard staff, purser's desk

The only excursion I booked with Costa was from Savona to Monoco which I paid for in March. Three days into the cruise I noticed a very small note in the "Today", daily paper that the excursion had been cancelled. I went down to the shore excursion desk and was told that it was cancelled because it was too close to the grand prix. They stated that I would not be reimbursed with my original form of payment but they would give me an onboard credit to cover all my expenses and tips!! Since I had to pay for tips and onboard charges I figured it would all work out. I was wrong, the last day when the final bill arrived I was not given the credit and had multiple charges?? After talking to the shore excursion desk and the purser's desk no one was willing to help. I was told to dispute the charge with my credit company.

When I came home I emailed Costa and a Costa representative called me. She said that in the fine print of the cruise contract it states that shore excursions cancelled after sailing will be reimbursed as an onboard credit. She went on to say that onboard credits do not include reimbursements for tips and that no cash refund is given. After much discussion Costa agreed to send me a check. Just Crazy!!

Upon disembarkation, the ship cleared customs and passengers were getting off but we had to wait for our passports. The passports sat behind the desk but we had to wait almost an hour because the desk didn't open until 8am!!!

In over 20 cruises I have never had a bad cruise. This is actually my first cruise review, but I felt it necessary to let others know just how bad it was. I think the only positive reviews are from first timers. While I realize cruising has changed in 30 years I still find it a wonderful way to travel! Just not with Costa, never again!!

Publication Date: 06/12/12