Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by mokopuna2: Pure Luxury

Pure Luxury

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We recently returned from an 11-day cruise around the Mediterranean on this wonderful ship. Check in was very simple and the express check out was even easier. Having the String Trio playing as we boarded the ship I thought was very classy. We found everyone, from the people cleaning the toilets, Joseph who looked after our stateroom, the restaurant staff, bar staff and officers full of smiles with a cheerful greeting every time they passed by. People like Housani the waiter in the Seaview Cafe who remembered guests names and the bar staff at the various bars who remembered what we liked to drink. The food in all the restaurants we used was simply delicious, well prepared, well presented and served with a smile and the wine recommendations with each of the courses was perfect. I loved the Lobster in the Murano Restaurant but my favourite was the Rib-eye Steak in the Tuscan Grill, we went to the Tuscan Grill 3 times during the cruise, absolutely fantastic.

We booked our own More private shore excursions using OceanWave Tours on Santorini with Nick our driver waiting at the top of the Cable Car when we disembarked. Nick was very knowledgeable about the island taking us from one end of it to the other, allowing us time to walk around Oia on our own which was nice. He also took us to Santo Wines for a wine tasting which was wonderful. If you want a Private tour on Santorini talk to OceanWave Tours fist.

We used George Kokkotos in Athens who is an encyclopedia of knowledge of Greek history, If you want to know who and why all of the ancient ruins were built book a tour with George.

WE used Fez Travel in Kusadasi and our driver, whose name I cannot remember was also a font of knowledge of everything regarding Kusadasi. He took us to Sirence a lovey village in the hills, then visited Ephesus and the Temple of Artemis plus a lovely buffet lunch.

In Naples we hired Enrico from Italy Limousines to take us to the Amalfi Coast visiting Sorrento and Positano. Enrico would be one of the best tour guides I have met. Enrico looks and is very professional and I am in the tour guide business myself in New Zealand.

All in all this was a wonderful cruise on a fantastic ship which was pure luxury and I highly recommend the Celebrity Equinox and her crew. We will definitely do more cruises on this ship.

Jim & Gloria Archer

New Zealand Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Inside Stateroom Sunrise Deck (7) 7152

We had Stateroom 7152 an inside room and we were very happy with it. It had a good sized comfortable bed, plenty of closet space and plenty of drawers plus plenty of room under the bed to store our luggage. The bathroom was more spacious than we expected with a very good shower with good water pressure. The room was very quiet. Joseph our steward was fantastic, extremely friendly, and helpful and full of smiles. We will definitely book this ship again, if it goes where we want to go, but definitely book Celebrity Solstice class again. We can't imagine any other ship matching this one.

Acropolis

(5.5)

The ruins are fantastic and Georges knowledge of the history of the place is outstanding. He is an encyclopedia. The Acropolis is a "must do" on anyone's list of things to do in Athens. I have read about them and have seen photos of them, but until you visit them in person you can not appreciate them as they should be appreciated.

City Tour

(5.5)

George is an excellent driver who knows his way around and through the many narrow streets and crazy drivers of Athens. His knowledge of the city is fantastic. He took us to the Acropolis and around town including a fantastic neighbourhood restaurant where we enjoyed a typical Greek family lunch. He also took us to the highest point of the city for a great photo opportunity, returning us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. He is very professional.

We caught a taxi to take us to the Grand Bizarre and he ended up taking us to the Blue Mosque and a lovely restaurant for a traditional Turkish lunch. Didn't enjoy the Grand Bizarre, too many people for my liking all pushing you to buy there product which our taxi driver said was usually more expensive than in the Home Bizarre. Walked around the port area the next morning before leaving Istanbul and enjoyed that more.

Read 260 Istanbul Reviews

Carpet Weaving

(5.5)

This was something very new to me and I found it fascinating. The owner of the business was great allowing my wife to try tying the knots and when the weaver had done a few more rows it was obvious which knots my wife had done. It is a lot more difficult then it looks. We were shown many examples of the carpets which were lovely but we were no in the market to but any. The owner was not pushy trying to make a sale and even gave us a coffee before we left.

Celsus Library

(5.5)

Highly recommended, well preserved ruins and a "must do" when visiting Kusadasi

Ephesus

(5.5)

All of the ruin of Ephesus are a "must do" when visiting Kusadasi. Enjoyed every moment of the tour.

Read 81 Ephesus Reviews

Sirince Village

(5.5)

Sirence is a lovely village and if we return to Turkey Sirence will be on the "must stay" list. Friendly people, a lovely market where we bought several items, including a leather wallet for 20 euros where in the Grand Bizarre they wanted 160 euros.

Temple of Artemis

(5.5)

Very professional tour guide and driver, met us on time and delivered us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare before departing. Our guide was very knowledgeable on all thing to do with Ephesus, also included a buffet lunch for the tour price. Highly recommended.

(5.5)

We hired a quad bike to explore the island and loved it. We visited the village, had a swim in the ocean, my wife had her hair cut and a manicure while my son and I had a beer abd an ouzo. A beautiful place I hope to return to sometime.

Read 378 Mykonos Reviews

We started and ended our cruise in Rome. The shuttle bus from the gate of the port to the ship was very efficient with a very helpful driver. Checking in was very quick and easy.

Island Tour

(5)

Was met at the top of the cable car on our arrival and driven all over the island. Had plenty of stops for photo opportunities plus time on our own to walk around Oia. Also stopped at Santo Wines for a wine tasting. Very happy with our tour. Although we got back to the cable car in plenty of time to catch the tender it would be wise to allow plenty of time to allow for the huge queue waiting to go down. We waited for at least 1-hour at the top cathcing the last scheduled tender but there were many more people waiting behind us. I guess they all made it back on-board OK.

Oia Village

(5)

Had a great time walking around this beautiful village. Loved the little shops and restaurants, would have loved more time there