Statendam Cruise Review by mas360

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: U.S.A.
Cabin Category: D
See More About: Statendam Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Statendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Statendam Deck Plans
First cruise
This was the first cruise for my wife and I. We booked with a local travel agent and boarded the Statendam in Vancouver. Since this is our first cruise, we have no standards to compare against. Generally I found the cruise to be satisfactory. Here are the good and bad.

a) The operation was very well organized starting from boarding at Vancouver to final disembark at Seward. The staff running the operation was well versed and helpful. Baggage handling was adequate.

b) Room was spacious and clean. Housekeeping staff was excellent, friendly and cheerful.

c) Lido restaurant served great food and its staff was friendly and very hard working. We had two formal dinners in the Rotterdam and frankly speaking other than the fancy silverware the food there was no better than in the Lido buffet.

d)Entertainment show was mediocre. In the theater I encountered the one and only rude staff, an American sound engineer. This man appeared to have emotional problem and a chip on his shoulder. Everyone else was always friendly, courteous and helpful. The non-American crew members were the most friendly and most helpful.

e) The state room had only one 110V outlet, which we used to charge our electronic equipment such as cell phone, camera batteries..etc.. HA should provides multi-outlets or extension cords with multiple plug-ins. If I ever cruise with HA again, I will bring one with me.

f) There was no Wi-Fi on board. You have to pay an arm and a leg if you want to use the internet while on board. You got charged per minute and transmission was very very slow...more like dial up connection transmission rate.

g) Here is the killer. I have Verizon and I found a $1,100 charge against my account for calls I made while in Alaska which were picked up by the Statendam communication tower. Before the trip Verizon told me that calls made in Alaska was treated as calls made in lower 48. Verizon did not tell me that if my call signal was picked up and transmitted by Statendam tower it would be charged at the rate of $2.50/minute. There was no telling of how and when my call signal was picked up by land tower or by Statendam. In another word, if I stood on dock and made a call and my call signal was picked up and transmitted by Statendam tower that call was going to be charged $2.50/minute.

Statendam billed $1,100 to my credit card without explanation and I guess that was Statendam charge for my phone calls. I have yet to hear the explanation.

Would I cruise with HA again? I am not sure.

Publication Date: 06/08/12