Statendam Cruise Review by mas360: First cruise

First cruise

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was the first cruise for my wife and I. We booked with a local travel agent and boarded the Statendam in Vancouver. Since this is our first cruise, we have no standards to compare against. Generally I found the cruise to be satisfactory. Here are the good and bad.

a) The operation was very well organized starting from boarding at Vancouver to final disembark at Seward. The staff running the operation was well versed and helpful. Baggage handling was adequate.

b) Room was spacious and clean. Housekeeping staff was excellent, friendly and cheerful.

c) Lido restaurant served great food and its staff was friendly and very hard working. We had two formal dinners in the Rotterdam and frankly speaking other than the fancy silverware the food there was no better than in the Lido buffet.

d)Entertainment show was mediocre. In the theater I encountered the one and only rude staff, an American sound engineer. This man appeared to have emotional More problem and a chip on his shoulder. Everyone else was always friendly, courteous and helpful. The non-American crew members were the most friendly and most helpful.

e) The state room had only one 110V outlet, which we used to charge our electronic equipment such as cell phone, camera batteries..etc.. HA should provides multi-outlets or extension cords with multiple plug-ins. If I ever cruise with HA again, I will bring one with me.

f) There was no Wi-Fi on board. You have to pay an arm and a leg if you want to use the internet while on board. You got charged per minute and transmission was very very slow...more like dial up connection transmission rate.

g) Here is the killer. I have Verizon and I found a $1,100 charge against my account for calls I made while in Alaska which were picked up by the Statendam communication tower. Before the trip Verizon told me that calls made in Alaska was treated as calls made in lower 48. Verizon did not tell me that if my call signal was picked up and transmitted by Statendam tower it would be charged at the rate of $2.50/minute. There was no telling of how and when my call signal was picked up by land tower or by Statendam. In another word, if I stood on dock and made a call and my call signal was picked up and transmitted by Statendam tower that call was going to be charged $2.50/minute.
Statendam billed $1,100 to my credit card without explanation and I guess that was Statendam charge for my phone calls. I have yet to hear the explanation.

Would I cruise with HA again? I am not sure. Less

Read more Statendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Statendam Review >>

Cabin review: Statendam Large Ocenaview Stateroom Main

We had an Oceanview room for two. It was a nice and clean room. Housekeeping staff was excellent. I highly commend the housekeeping staff for their dedication and impressive work ethics. A tip was automatically billed to our expense account at $11.40 per passenger per day. This was to be divided among all crew members. At the end of the cruise, I personally tipped the two persons who kept our room clean everyday. They had been with Holland America for ten years and I found out their first three years they had to work 12 months straight without break. After the first three years they worked 11 months and had one month to go home to see their family. That made me feel very guilty. Despite of this work contract, they cheerfully did their job with a positive attitude.

Mendenhall Glacier

It was ok. Glacier was not impressive. Weather was terrible.

Saxman Native Village

This is mediocre at best.

We boarded a bus to go to Anchorage. Bus drive was OK. Nothing to rant or rave about.
Read 49 Seward Reviews

Yukon Suspension Bridge

Good scenic tour. The Salmon bake was so and so. Food on the Statendam was much better than this Salmon bake.