Sea Princess Cruise Review by flexurmind: Disappointed

Disappointed

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: San Francisco

Oh boy. I was very happy to be sailing out of San Francisco as I live within driving distance and did not have to fly or book a hotel room. This was a trip from the city and back. Unfortunately, this was the best part of the cruise. The ship is cramped. There is no other way to describe it. We had a balcony cabin, and for those of you that have cruised before, you know what to expect. This cabin had one chair, no couch, and the chair backed up to the little stool that was provided under the vanity area. If my wife was doing makeup, I would have to sit on the bed. If I chose to sit in the chair I was 12 inches from the flat screen TV. If she need to move I had to get up and move to the balcony so she could get by. . The closet space was tiny also. There were 3 closet doors. Two for hanging clothes, and one that housed the shelves. The top shelf held the life jackets, and they ended up under the bed. The next shelf had the safe. No room for More clothes there. That left two shelves for all of our folded clothes. Under the shelves there were two swing out baskets. Six small drawers in the vanity were available for undergarments. one look at this cabin and the mood was set for the cruise. I had to ask for ICE. I was told that it would be in my cabin after dinner. I asked for ice right then and was told that I would have to wait. The dining room area is the same as most cruises and the staff there tried to provide a friendly and relaxing environment. The general congregation areas were very small. The theatre was a one floor venue, the lounge area for smaller acts was the same size as the theatre. The small lounges did not have enough seating for the activities that were presented. Then there was the buffet, if you can call it that. The food area, not the seating area of the buffet, was about the size of 2 panda express food display area. The afternoon and evening choices were minimum. There would be one meat, and one chicken or fish and maybe a veggie, and some starch item. The rest was salads, breads and deserts. There was a pool side grill for hamburgers and hot dogs. We only had breakfast in the buffet and would grab a burger or a snack in the afternoon. There were no quiet places on the ship to sit and read. The weather was cold and sometimes rainy but that was to be expected. It was Alaska after all. Over all We just felt cramped all the time on the Sea Princess. I did not feel as though I was on vacation. I felt like I was at the local mall during holiday shopping. I will not be going on another Princess cruise. Less

Read more Sea Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sea Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sea Princess Oceanview Double Dolphin Deck A617

For a balcony cabin this was the smallest cabin I have ever been in. No place to sit for 2 people. tiny closet space. We ended up putting the life vests under the bed so we could have shelf space. Tiny drawers and not enough space in the cabin for all of the items. Glad this was only a 10 night cruise. If it was longer I would have had to use the laundry service as there would have been no room for the extra clothes.

Mendenhall Glacier

(4)
first time near a glacier on foot. I recommend this adventure.

Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery & Eagle Center

(4)
Went with family members that were first time visitors. I have been here before so nothing new for me.

Potlatch Park

Learned a little about native life. This was an okay excursion

White Pass Scenic Railway

(4)
skagway is not a large port of call. The train ride was recommend by friends and so off we went. It was just a train ride. Three hours long. Bring food if you are going at lunch time. They do provide water. If you are from a northern state in the US the scenery is the same as looking out your window in January. Snow covered mountains. This is not a cheap excursion. $129.00 pp.

Butchart Gardens

(3)
Although it was a well maintained site I thought that $27.55 pp to walk through the gardens was too much. This was highly recommend to me and I was very disappointed. If you are in Victoria try the queens garden instead.

Butterfly Gardens

(4)
this is an interesting place. Not what you would expect. climate controlled and comfortable.