Oosterdam Cruise Review by MissyGirl228

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: SA
See More About: Oosterdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Oosterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oosterdam Deck Plans
Different from our Last HAL cruise......
My Husband and I are fairly new to cruising. We have been on three so far in the past 6 months and have many more booked for the next 6 months! We are having a blast! We chose HAL Oosterdam to visit Alaska on a 7 day cruise out of Seattle May 27-June 3rd. We want to try all the lines, and had every intention of booking something new to try. In the end, I insisted on using HAL again for such an important cruise. I have waited my whole life to see Alaska. We live in Ga. so for us, the airfare makes this one expensive! Based on our first cruise with HAL on the Ryndam, (which was really HOT due to no A/C for most of a 7 day Caribbean cruise because of engine problems the entire time)which was pretty near PERFECT.We were hooked!!!

The staff were amazing on both ships, the service impeccable on both, the accommodations wonderful on both (this time, we opted for a verandah instead of ocean view ) and we LOVED the peacefulness without the party types when we go without the kids....

The only complaint I have, (and to us, it was a BIGGIE) was the food in the main dining room. I had it in my head, it would be just as wonderful on every HAL ship. Boy, was I wrong! It was not even close..... The Oosterdam was a huge disappointment in the quality. We tried the first four days, hoping it would improve. It just didn't... We gave up and did not return after that.. The Ryndam really had it going on. The same food choices for the most part,but there really is a vast difference. To be honest, we are not sure what to think now about HAL , and are kinda leery of trying a third boat with them... Maybe, I will stick with what I know, and not venture out anymore when it comes to HAL's other ships.

Publication Date: 06/11/12