Seabourn Quest Cruise Review by 76mike

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Istanbul
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: VS
See More About: Seabourn Quest Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Seabourn Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seabourn Quest Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seabourn Quest Deck Plans
Seabourn Quest May 2012
I'd like to center this review on the food--which was great! I'll get to that last. You might want to skip ahead, if that's what you're looking to read about.

Definitely an affluent "over 50" crowd. About a 50/50 mix of European and Americans onboard. We brought our two kids, ages 20 and 21. They found about 6 others that age onboard, and all befriended each other. There were a handful of couples in their 30's and 40's as well.

Service was great. Almost every employee was genuinely super polite.

I won't talk much about the destinations. You can easily look those up elsewhere. But, generally, we docked, or tendered around 8 am, and left port either around 5 pm, or occasionally 10 pm.

We took one paid excursion which was good. A nurse from the ship seemed to be there to ensure that the tour was up to Seabourn's specs. I found that to be interesting. (She wasn't there on her own off time, but rather as a rep from the ship.) Our guide was a local Turk, a school teacher: knowledgable and funny.

My only negative comment is that when we left each port, the "sail away" party was one guy on an acoustic guitar! This may reflect the "over 50" crowd...I hear other sail away parties are genuine parties.

But, we were onboard when the Quest was celebrating it's one year anniversary. THAT was a party: unlimited black caviar, high quality smoked salmon, and champagne. Then, after dinner, the party continued with chocolate truffles, and amazing sweets.

ALL food and drinks are free 24/7. Johnnie Black, Chivas, Grey Goose--ALL top Shelf...Fantastic! (I don't drink: what a waste, right? My wife drinks wine, and was very happy about the selection.) All coffees, expressos, capuchinos are included as well.

Onto the food...Here's the bottom line: we live in New York, where high quality food is very common, and not super expensive. By high quality I mean shrimp, scallops, lobster, filet mignon, T-bone and rib eye steaks, quality smoked salmon, fresh tuna and lamb chops. Let me say that except on the last night on Celebrity when steak and tuna were offered, NONE of these items were available on the Royal Carribbean or Norwegian Cruises that we took. All were available on Seabourn. The lobster and tuna were in a little short supply, but we had Nigerian shrimps which are the size of medium lobsters on multiple nights. The same for steaks, scallops, salmon, and lamb chops: plentiful.

The desserts were very high quality. Especially on the one year anniversary party.

Amazingly, an older couple who had sailed on other high end cruise lines were disappointed with the food! Let me say that we have never sailed with Crystal or Regency; only NCL, Royal C, and Celebrity.

The selection and quality of foods during breakfast and lunch was amazing as well. But, you only have a 2-3 hour window in which to eat. Nothing is put out all day as is done on the other cruise lines.

Room service is available 24/7 and includes shrimp and steak.

There are 4 restaurants from which to choose for dinner. One is an outdoor grill; two are sit downs, and one requires reservations--no extra money, just reservations. This restaurant, Restaurant 2, is very similar to Per Se in Manhattan: it is a tasting menu.

While fresh tuna was offered in the Salad Nicoise, and sushi, it was in slightly short supply in my (spoiled!) opinion. not so for enormous shrimp, steaks, and scallops. You could order these items for every meal! Lobster was served only once.

Hope this helps!!