Statendam Cruise Review by Wheresmyvacation

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Seward
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: S
See More About: Statendam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Statendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Statendam Deck Plans
Lack of Luxury and Wasted Money
My wife and I chose this cruise to join our friends in celebrating a special occasion. This cruise traveled from North to South starting in Seward, Alasaka. I've taken this same cruise two other times, but on Celebrity Cruise Lines and had wonderful experiences. My wife and I decided to upgrade to a deluxe verandah suite for 6.5K to make sure the experience was extra luxurious for my wife's first cruise in Alaska.

We were absolutely underwhelmened by the entire experience and actually feel ripped off after spending over 8K for the trip. No one greeted us and showed us to our Deluxe accomodations upon entering the ship. The carpets and upholsteries were completely worn, our room accomodations were definitely dated, but what was worse was the lack of cleanliness in the room and all of the hairs in the tub.

The main dining room appeared completely institutional and the food was just OK. The service was good, but not nearly like it should be for a luxury cruise. You needed to spend an extra $25 per person to receive the expected level of service and quality of food by dinning in their Pinnacle Grill.

We were absolutely appalled when my wife asked for a glass of Veuve Cliquot Champagne (listed on the menu by glass) and the bartender said they didn't have any bottles open.

I imagined sitting on my private verandah breathing in the fresh Alaskan air while covered in my wool or down blankets and enjoying some wine. To my surprise, smoking is allowed on the ship and the passengers in the neighboring verandah were chain smokers. Imagine smelling one cigarette after another while cruising past a glacier.

To top this off, I bragged to my wife and friends how wonderful it is to visit the Hubbard Glacier and slowly cruise the inside passage. We didn't do either. For some reason, the cruise line chose to visit a tiny glacier instead of visiting the active and impressive Hubbard glacier and decided not to even enter the inside passage. In fact, righ out side of the inside passage, the ship tilted drastically to the port side and sent all of the glassware in our room shattering to the floor. The captain blamed this on currents!!

I would never recommend this cruise line to anyone.

Publication Date: 06/07/12