“Alaska with kids”

jeo_la
Member Since 2009
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We had 2 rooms, one mini-suite, and one interior for the kids, aged 25, 17, 12, 12. We loved the extra room the mini-suite had in comparison to the balcony rooms, and would recommend this to anyone having 4 in a room. We were traveling with 7 other persons and had a very good time. We previously had done the glacier bay on a different cruise, but I really enjoyed the Sawyer Glacier. We ended up not being able to see the Sawyer Glacier but the captain took us to see Daaw (sp?) Glacier and it was a spectacular trip. I actually thought it was more picturesque than glacier bay. We ate breakfast in the buffet most mornings, but did have breakfast in the main dining room on one occasion. I wasn't impressed with the food in the main dining room for breakfast. The dinners in the main dining room were good. I preferred the service in Tsars over that of Azuras which always seemed hectic and disorganized. If you got the chef special in Tsars, it was always very good. We ate at blue lagoon many times and always had good food there, especially the wings. We ate at one specialty, - Modernos. It was o.k., but don't know if it justifies the $20 cover. We used a coupon for buy 3, get one free, and it was easier to justify $60 for 4 persons than the $80 would have been. Our food was very slow in coming around, we had to ask twice for them to bring us the meat servings. Our 12 year olds did not enjoy the kids club, it was set up for kids between the ages of 5-9, and the services did not have very many activities set up for kids older than this group. My kids were bored, and did not want to go back after 2 times. Rented a car in Juneau and at Skagway. In Juneau went to Mendenhall Glacier, and to Last Chance Mining Museum (this was not worth paying the $5 for, but a great place to pan for gold on your own). In Skagway did the Yukon Trail drive. In Ketchikan did the Lumberjack show (purchased at the location not from boat, much cheaper), my kids really enjoyed this. Had no problems with anything on the boat or staff, an enjoyable vacation even though it was cold and rainy most of the time.
Norwegian Jewel Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mini-Suite with Balcony

MB11634
Loved the location. Very convenient to buffet and other areas at back of boat. Quiet, even though the Italian restaurant is above, we never heard anything.
Published 06/10/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Jewel Review
Norwegian Jewel Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?