Carnival Valor Cruise Review by rootbeard: Did not meet my expectation

rootbeard
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean Cruises

Did not meet my expectation

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I am a Platinum member and I must say this ship did not meet my expectation. For starters the Cruise director and his side kick thought they were super stars and there only job was to walk around and talk to the ladies and take pictures with them. Both were young 26 year old kids who had no talent.

Next was our room. The A/C would not really cool the room. We called and they came and left a note on our bed and said it was working. I did not sleep with any covers on me. We found out that we could call guest services and ask for a fan. We called and they said they had a limited amount. We never got a fan. Other guest told us there room was warm as well. One lady even said she did not sleep with any thing on to try and stay cool. TMI.

We also like to dance. Each night we went to the dance club in hopes of getting our grove on. Each night they played old Donna Summers tunes that no body wanted to dance to. I watched on Thursday night as everyone was herded to the band More stand out side the casino. (they would do that each night for a guess that tune game then hope that people would drift over into the casino to drop some cash) Then those that did not drift into the casino went on down to the dance club. People went in droves into the club and 60 seconds later came out in droves because of the crappy music the DJ was playing. The same old moldy songs every night. 70's disco - Yuk! Wii Dance party was better then what the DJ was playing. They are missing a chance to make some money here. If they played some good dance music, people would dance. As you get the room full and people getting there grove on, they get thirsty and will buy drinks. Cha-Ching.

Now lets talk about the dinning room. We did the any time dinning and have done it a few times before on other ships. We always expect the first night of service is going to be slow. But on the second night we sat for two hours. Did not wait for desert. Just got up and went up to the buffet for cake and coffee. The Valor staff don't have the Anytime dinning figured out yet. I had other guest tell us the same thing about the dinning.

As for the ports of call. We knew going in what the stops were and the times. We got to Aruba at 2:00pm, too late to really take advantage of booking a dive. Aruba is the best place to dive due to all the ship wrecks. We also stopped in Dominican Republic, a rat hole. We to a beach last time we were here and there was human crap on the beach. We did not get off the boat this time. I would have rather skipped DR and went right to Aruba. We got a survey about DR the following day so I think this may be removed from the ports of call. We have been doing Carnival cruises for the past few years with our kids because they had the kids camps. Next year our kids will no longer be in the kids camps so we will be looking real hard at other cruise lines. So long Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Lido

Took a cab to a beach out buy the light house. Cost too much for a cab. Take the bus it is only a few bucks per person verses 40 bucks for a cab. Only problem was we did not get there until 2pm. We wanted to do a scuba excursion here but it sold out before we left Miami. Did not offer any other suggestions.
Read 682 Aruba Reviews

Best stop of all. Only problem is the cabs want to take you out the the beach that is about 35 minutes away at 50 bucks one way. We took a cab over to the man made beach at the resorts. Lions Head or something like that, closer to the cruse ship and had a good day. Nice beach, good snorkeling.
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

I would rate this port as a big ZERO. We have been here before and found human crap on a very hot beach, very little shade to be found. We did not even get off the boat this time.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

We did our own thing in Grand Turk. We like the beach and like to snorkel / dive. It is not hard to find a good beach. Just have to find what works best for you. If you like to have a good bar close by then they have it at Grand Turk.