Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by FunFox

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: IA
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Great for Disabled, Food Allergy and Sensitive People
I am autistic, very sensitive to sound and other environmental conditions, with serious food allergies. The Pearl staff were very helpful boarding and throughout the cruise. The dining staff, particularly our Maitre D' Alex, went beyond our expectations to ensure that my food was safely prepared AND that I had a comfortable dining experience. He made sure the staff would seat us in the quietest area. The Pearl has a chef who dedicates himself to fulfilling special dietary orders which is outstanding. The food was delicious and I could dine with confidence.

Why would I give them so much praise? Well our last cruise was on the Brilliance (Royal Caribbean) and we had the exact opposite experience. By the time I left the Brilliance, my gums were bleeding, as were my intestines, because no care was taken in food preparation, despite assurances. As compensation, RCI offered us a discount on our next cruise with them but nothing could make up for the weeks of illness due to their negligence.

Anyway, there were blind persons on board the NCL Pearl and others with significant disabilities all being cared for. I was so pleased to see the freedom NCL's services allowed disabled travelers.

The great thing about NCL was the availability of Officers and Staff. The phone extensions were broadcast on TV so if you had an issue, you could call them directly. That went a long way in help to reassure us that any issues would be handled. Fortunately, except for needed to speak with the Executive Chef about the food allergies, there was no need to contact anyone in charge - well except to compliment the staff.

Aside from these services, for those who are sound sensitive - this may be a difficult way to travel as very loud live music is nearly everywhere at night. I used hearing protection which helped a great deal. Depending on your particular sensitivity or issues, I still think the Pearl had more to offer than the other ships I've sailed with and recommend it.

Publication Date: 06/07/12