Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Dolphin3: Liberty Review The Good, The Bad and the Fun

Dolphin3
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Liberty Review The Good, The Bad and the Fun

Sail Date: May 2012

My daughter (20) and I have a tradition of taking a girls only vacation for a some mommy and daughter bonding time. This year we decided upon a cruise. This is my 9th cruise and my daughter's 5th cruise. We chose Carnival due to the itinerary (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman). We enjoy the islands much more than the time spent on the ship so we try to find cruises with very few sea days. We left for Miami via the Pittsburgh International airport on Sat. May 19th at a 6AM flight. We had a direct flight and arrived in Miami at 9AM. We collected our bags and proceeded to get a taxi. We do not like to take the cruise shuttles/transfers as I do not want to wait for a bus to fill up. The taxi to the pier was only $25 plus tip which was cheaper than the shuttle/transfer from Carnival. We arrived at the pier in less than 15 minutes and had a porter help us with our bags. The process was very smooth. We continued to embarkation which there was a short line already, we More were quickly through the line and was guided up the stairs to check in. I already had everything done on-line so there was not much to do except get our sail and sign cards. We were met with very friendly representatives who instructed us where to sit and wait until we could board the ship. By that time it was 10:30AM we were told we would board at 11AM. Well due to some issues with people not exiting the ship we were still sitting in the terminal at 1:00PM. It was getting frustrating, people were getting restless and hungry.

We finally boarded the ship about 1:30PM. The ship decor was lovely. We really enjoyed the layout of the ship. We were on deck 8 and it was conveniently located midship near elevator/stairs. The cabin was fine,we usually get a balcony but since my hubby was not going with us I thought an inside cabin would be fine for the 2 of us. The only issue with the cabin was we must have been near a generator or some type of machinery because the cabin was not quiet, it always had a humming sound or noise but we were usually so tired by the end of the night it was not a problem. We feel that the service was wonderful and the staff goes above and beyond. I cannot say enough great things about them, they work so hard to make our vacations special.

We really enjoyed the Punchliner Comedy Club and spent many evenings there. The BlueIguana Cantina and the RedFrog Rum bars on the lido deck had delicious drinks. We saw a couple of the shows, however we were not too impressed. All the shows seem to be the same after awhile.

The big disappointment on this cruise was the food. We normally enjoy the buffet for breakfast and lunch and do the main dining room for dinner, but we were not pleased with the food at all at the buffet or main dining room. The quality as well as the selection was poor in our opinion. We ended up eating at Guy's Burger Joint numerous times as that was the best food on the ship. We did make reservations for the Diamond Steakhouse for dinner one evening and that was wonderful. I had the surf and turf and was well worth the $30 fee to have a delicious meal.

Unfortunately, the weather was not great but we made the best of it anyway. Due to high winds we were not able to dock at our last port of Grand Cayman which we were very disappointed, but Carnival was able to add Key West in place of Grand Cayman so that was better than having another sea day. Our cruise director was Karl with a K and he was a blast as well as Rolly. The Hot and Cold night club was not very fun. They played a lot of Rap music and most people didn't dance. So we ended up leaving and finding other things to do. All in all, we had a great time, in spite of the food. However, I think this will be our last Carnival cruise for awhile. I think the next time we will try another line. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Interior Verandah 8338

Great location easy access to elevator and stairs. Cabin is noisy due to generators or machines.

We booked cave tubing with VIV tours and they were amazing. We had to take a tender to the pier and we found them easily waiting for us. Due to bad weather again, they quickly escorted us into our van and we traveled about 45 minutes to the cave. Kareem was our tour guide and he was the most informative and entertaining tour guide. He was very knowledgeable about Belize and we learned so much about the country. Once we arrived we were able to change into swimsuits and use the restroom. We were provided with life vest and helmets with lights. We then picked up our tubes and proceeded into the jungle. The walk is about 2.5 miles, the path is rocky but it was not too difficult. We entered the water with help from the guides and were clipped together in tubes of 8. Kareem guided his 8 tubes through the cave and explained all about the caves. It was very safe and we enjoyed it. Once the cave portion of the tour was over we floated down the river and then had a 5 minute walk back. We were able to change clothes before heading back on the van. I would highly recommend VIV tours, they were wonderful!

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(3)
We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park for the dolphin swim. We had a reservation scheduled for 10AM. The dolphin swim was fun and we enjoyed our dolphin "Regina". Unfortunately the weather was bad and we were not able to snorkel or use the beach facilities. So we cut the day short and headed back to the ship where we ate at Fat Tuesdays and did a little shopping at the pier.

Snorkeling

(3)
Since Key West was added as a replacement for Grand Cayman. We found a local operator and booked a last minute catamaran and snorkel tour cruise. The tour was nice saw many colorful fish, a reef shark, tarpon and lobster. We spent the remainder of the day shopping and visiting Mallary Square. It was a great day.

We book our private tour with Rony Bennett Tours. We had the pleasure of having Rony's brother Jonathan as our tour guide. He was so much fun and made sure we well taken care of at all times. We first visited the Monkey stop, where we had the opportunity to hold monkeys, parrots and birds. It was a great experience, especially since we were the first people there and had the place to ourselves. Then we went to South Shore Zip Line. I must say I was a nervous wreck about zipling as I do not like heights, but I wanted to say I did it. Johnathan made sure we were in good hands and was trying his best to calm me down. The zipline guides are very nice and tried to make me feel less stressed. After a few of the lines I was beginning to relax, I can't say I would ever zipline again, but I am glad I did. On our second to last line the guide pointed out a boa constrictor at the top of a tree which I am also scared to death of snakes, but it was below us and it was quite a sight to see one in the wild jungle. After ziplining, we went to Bananarama Beach and relaxed with some yummy drinks. The water was beautiful and Steven our bartender made the best drinks ever (West End Bay Punch). The entire time Johnathan made sure we were being well taken care of . My daughter and I had massages and too quickly it was time to go. Johnathan was a blast, and if we are ever in Roatan again, I will definitely request him. It was a perfect day!
Read 1644 Roatan Reviews