Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by CharltonkerryK

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by CharltonkerryK
Voyager of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Member Name: CharltonkerryK
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: F
See More About: Voyager of the Seas Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Vineyards and Viestas 20/5/2012

This is my review of our very first cruise on voyager and also with Regent, hope you find it interesting, informative and hopefully not to boring.

Departure / flight / check in etc

Documentation arrived and was first class, with all the necessary bits and pieces included, including luggage labels, which seems a bit of a rarity now days. We travelled to Heathrow on the Saturday night prior to our early morning departure on Sunday. We travelled from the dreaded terminal 5, and stayed in the extremely nice and for a 5* hotel I thought reasonably priced adjoining the terminal, the curry I had was outstanding.

The flight in business class was good as was the check in and passage through the airport. Arrival in Barcelona went to plan as did the meet up with the meet and greet team, with 2 other British couples we where transferred to the ship via a nice private taxi, all very easy and all ours fears of problems, getting last etc where totally unfounded.

Check in was very easy and painless, I think it took less than 5 minutes, we where informed where we could get food and drink before our cabins where ready prior to the mandatory life boat drill, again all very simple and professionally undertaken.

We where in an A grade cabin, the room was the best laid out I been in in all our cruises, whilst not being the largest, the space usage is exceptional, bathroom all marble with a full size bath and a separate showers, the freebies where good and covered all our needs. The bed was large and extremely comfortable and made me decide to treat ourselves to a new mattress upon our return, the sheets etc again where all top quality.

The fridge was fully stocked with various soft drinks and the requested London gin was in the drinks cabinet, just a question with "free" drinks ever where when are you meant to drink the wine and gin? The butler was great and answered all our question and found my requested bitter which Regent specially ordered and supplied for me, brilliant service. We have never used room service for our breakfast as often as we did, partly because of the early starts on this very port intensive cruise and also because the food was good and importantly hot.

The cabin assistant was a pleasure and totally unobtrusive.

General ship comments

The pool area was strangely quiet at the start of the cruise, but filled up more as the cruise progressed, all areas where well decorated with plenty of space, bars where well stocked, we didn't used La Veranda often, as when we are on holiday we liked to be spoilt and find service not to be of our liking.

We went to both the speciality restaurant with signatures being our first port of call, thought the room was nice and well laid out, Marion loved her food, however unfortunately I am allergic to fish and shell fish, which meant my choice was extremely limited, quality was however good.

Prime 7 was ideal for me and I loved my steak, but I thought the room layout to be inferior to signatures, to me it was a bit dull and dingy.

Compass rose was very good apart from 1 meal which was a plain steak, it was totally inedible, I did complain but I think my accent let me down as the waiter just smiled and walked away. We eventually found an excellent waiter who had a good sense of humour and wouldn't rush you.

Wine selection, we only disliked 1 white wine, which when you are on a fortnight holiday and I guessed that we sampled around 28 wines.

The theatre was well laid out, with a good sound quality, the guest performers where excellent, but unfortunately the same cannot be said of the house entertainers, the best I could say of them where that they where poor.

Trips / coaches

Well organised, meet in theatre and nice short walk normally to the coaches, we found the descriptions to be accurate, but for some reasons passengers either didn't read or thought the descriptions of the severity of the inclines / steps where inaccurate, which unfortunately they where not. Coaches where all modern and had air conditioning, we had no problems with guides, although there where a few grumbles with various guides normally the accent being the main problem.

Overall view

We both enjoyed the whole experience, the service offered was often exceptional, the staff I believe put themselves out to help / please you. Probably the worse moment from my point of view was the welcome home do, I found it terribly embarrassing, but that's probably my British reserve coming out. Would we do it again, I am pretty certain that we will.

Sorry for the length, but I hope you enjoyed it.

Regards