Veendam Cruise Review by Casino Player: Bermuda 2012

Compare Prices on Veendam Bermuda Cruises

Bermuda 2012

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My wife was on a Holland America cruise once before, to Bermuda. This was my first time on Holland America. We got to the pier in Manhattan in about an hour. We live in NYC. Holland America checked us in pretty quick. We had to wait for a short while until they started boarding the ship. We got on board and got up to our stateroom. It was roomy and had lots of closet and drawer space for storage of clothes. The Veendam is also used for longer voyages. We ate at the dining room since members of the Mariner Society, a past cruiser, is able to go to a sit down lunch in the dining room instead of the Lido area. It was more calm. Then we made our way around the ship to find where everything is. An important discovery I made. There is no craps table in the casino. I did play a couple of other games in the casino, but, craps is my favorite game. Did play in the casino every day it was open. In one of the bars we discovered a table with these games in it. Video games. We saw More the ship stores which were closed while in port.

Let me mention a few things: Service: The service aboard the Veendam ranges from very good to excellent. If you stand around for a few moments someone from Holland America will approach you to inquire if they could do anything for you. Wait staff was very efficient. Room service was very good. Very efficient. Brought fairly quickly. Breakfast, lunch, late night snack all were done very professionally. I tend to bring a few sets of silverware to my stateroom because in the past silverware was not always brought.

Food: Food ranges also from very good to excellent with the exception of the pizza. This pizza was one of the worst I've ever tasted. I have heard that they just changed pizza dough they use. They should use the one that Carnival uses or at least used to use. The rest of the food was well prepared and the cooks are willing to accommodate you. When I got some beef from a carving station and wanted it more well done they did that for me without giving me an argument first. There was a staff person at the drink station dispensing drinks and the ice cream was very good. No 24 hour restaurant though so if you want something between meals or a meal in your room you must order from room service. Someone from a cruise before us stated that the BBQ that they do on board the ship was not good. Not true. Their BBQ is very good. When they BBQ enjoy it. They do it once on embarkation day and once while in Bermuda. They had a dessert night like a giant Viennese table. It was nice and you could take pictures of it before it opens. However, they opened it before the pastry chef's could take their place which led to chaos at the start. There were cooking exhibitions sponsored by Food and Wine Magazine. They had Chef Achisson and the owners of several restaurants in NYC and around the world. They were good.

Entertainment: The entertainment was not bad. You may see bad reviews on entertainment, I know I did. It is not true. If you like fog machines, dirty jokes, people swinging from or climbing ropes you won't see it or hear it. They do song and dance, have a comic, have a ventriloquist as well as Bingo games in the theater. They have a DJ in the Crow's Nest., They also have a band and a harp player. There were also movies shown in the small theater most nights. Some where good and others were so so. Depends on your taste in movies. They served popcorn at the theater.

Debarkation went fairly smooth and we were home before 1100 hours. Less

Read more Veendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Veendam Review >>

Cabin review: Veendam Verandah Suite Verandah

The Veendam deck seven does not go all the way from front to back. You must go from aft down stairs or upstairs to get to the rest of the deck. The stateroom has lots of closet and drawer space. My wife's walker could fit right through the front door without having to close it first just like on Triumph class ships. We did enjoy sitting on our balcony. They brought fresh fruit to us every day. We heard banging from the ceiling every night. We also heard it when sitting on the Lido Deck.

We went to Bermuda before. The first day we arrived we went to the Ferry Terminal and purchased a transit pass for the time we were on the island. We went to St. George and got there too late to see the reenactment. We did go to the Post Office and send post cards to friends and family. I also added to my stamp collection. We also visited our favorite ice cream shoppe, and went to the Lilli Perfumery. We went back the next day by bus and saw the Reenactment. We also saw the recreation of the ship Deliverance. Went back to the ice cream shoppe. We also went to the Bermuda Museum of Natural History, Bermuda Zoo, and Bermuda Aquarium. Another day we went to the Botanical Garden. The first day we also went to the Royal Naval Dockyard. Harbor Night was a good event. They had different shows, and vendors selling goods. It was an enjoyable evening. Every Wednesday night on Front Street.
Read 125 Hamilton Reviews