Zuiderdam Cruise Review by chelseasails

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: SA
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Good times on the Zuiderdam
Thank you to the cruise critic community for encouraging me to go, I still cannot believe that the 'travel agents' thought this would not be a fun cruise for us because of our ages.

Room: (SA)

It started out that we got bumped from SC to SA, I'm not so sure how big of a bump that is. The room was clean and the furniture was a bit tired but still comfortable. Lots of closet space. Having the balcony at glacier bay was awesome we made a fort out there with pillows and blankets so we could see over the rail. In room dining-all the time. Both a perfect storm and Titanic were on the movie list- hilarious. Toilet broke for about an hour it was on permaflush, far superior to the alternative.

Food:

At the Pinnacle we really enjoyed the 'Cirque' night and the Indonesian lunch, was nice to have breakfast there. Don't order the 'shoestring fries' they are nothing of the sort, other than that it was great. They had some problems with service on the cirque night but it was just really full and they were overloaded. Loved in room dining, everything was somehow always the right temperature, the salads may have been a little warm but not to a point that I stopped ordering them. Italian place was fun, dining room was a little chaotic for me so we ordered in.

Neptune:

We were there a lot, our room was close by. My husband has a thing for pate and canapes, he was truly happy. I ate all of the chocolates, though I'm not a big fan of the rice crispy one they should stick to the bark. There is a possibility I have gained weight. The concierges were fantastic, I may not have enjoyed the cruise nearly as much if I did not have them. Seriously, if you can spring for the suite. It was worth it to have an uncrouded area to relax in that's not your room.

Ports:

So some of the ports didn't really do it for us, but that's okay. I didn't understand that every town in Alaska had no less than 25 jewelry stores, I love jewelry as much as the next girl but this was overkill. I also didn't understand that there would be no less than 3 cruise ships in every port at all times.

Ketchikan: We walked around and it was cute. DO NOT BUY the fish and chips on the dock. Expensive and REALLY disgusting.

Nightlife:

We danced to the bands for a while there were a few other couples who did the same, we do appreciate ballroom and try our best. I think it was the band at the ocean bar that we really loved, the pianist had a great voice. There were some really lovely dancers (passengers) to watch on the boat. I stopped into one of the musical performances and was not to impressed but I had been to a great opera company the week before we left so expectations were too high. Did a couple of the events and they were fun, we particularly appreciated the group dance lessons. My husband enjoyed some poker in the casino, yes it does clear out by about midnight but Alaska is a great place to get up early. We did party the last night "Rock it until we dock it" how could we resist? Lot's of old standards which were fun, the twist and Mustang Sally and such.... The DJ played us some top 40 around 1am and we had a drunk guy come in and dance which was fun. But we were alone in the Northern Lights nightclub but it didn't bother us.

Spa:

Here is where my grievances lay. I'm upset that the ladies locker room was not frequently picked up, especially on 'sea days' when everyone was there. I don't expect every 10 minutes but I am annoyed when I go into a changing room and find someone else's robe and towels strewn about. This may be more of a grievance with the passengers. We bought the spa pass and enjoyed the thermal suite. I love a steam room. Large Jacuzzi was nice but you have to hit it at the right times because it's not as pleasant when it's crowded. Met some people in the thermal suite who wanted to talk politics with me, was not pleasant then they were in there all the time... my luck, not relaxing but what can you do? Spa specials were nice and they were able to accommodate me almost immediately but the changing area really annoyed me and the 'spa shoes' were terrible- bring your flip flops.

Gluten:

I am one of those gluten sensitive people, almost celiac. The chefs and crew really went out of their way to help me out. Thanks for that.

Overall we loved this vacation, we will cruise again. Thanks CruiseCritic!

Publication Date: 06/06/12
Read the Alaska ports review by chelseasails
More Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews