Disney Dream Cruise Review by ripples: What a truely amazing ship the Dream is!!

ripples
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

What a truely amazing ship the Dream is!!

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

First of all I must say, if someone found anything negative about the cruise ship Dream, they were trying hard. We just returned from sailing on the Dream, May 27th cruise. We took our daughter, son in law, and three grandchildren who had never been on a cruise. This was our 8th and have cruised on other cruiselines.

I was bracing myself when I heard some horror stories aboard this ship and didn't know what to expect but I feel I have to post our experience as I know other passengers who are preparing to venture on the Dream shortly are also feeling uneasy with some previous post and not sure what to expect. I will be brief.

Embarkation was one of the quickest ones I have had. We arrived at the port around 11:30 and was on the ship less than 30 minutes and most of that time took checking in with the 7 of us. Every Disney staff member was exceptionally helpful, friendly and pleasant to speak with.The terminal was spotless and not crowded like I expected. Once on the More ship we went to Cabanas and ate some lunch before checking out the ship.

Food: We loved the food, it was delicious, plentiful,a wide selection, and never struggled to find a place for all 7 of us to eat. The staff was cleaning tables as soon as passengers got up. Staff members had handed out saniwipes for everyone prior to entering any dining area. Eating at all the dining rooms was so much fun for the grandchildren and us of course. Animators Palate was so much fun, the kids just couldn't get enough and laughed all through their meals. Royal Palace felt elegant, the meal selection was absolutely incredible and if we wanted more than one selection, we got it. Enchanted Gardens was another beautiful dining room and beautifully decorated. The lights changing as the dinner progressed was a really nice touch. There was so many selections of places to eat on the ship, I don't know how anyone could complain. Each night the grandchildren had cookies and milk delivered to the room prior to bed. They felt special when someone brought them their snack. One staff employee even sat on the floor and opened their milk and removed the plastic from the cookies while talking to the kids. That says alot.

Room: We had adjoining rooms on deck 8 Deluxe family with verandah. I could not believe how much room there was. We didn't even use all the storage in our stateroom. The beds were extremely comfortable, queensize, and a large sitting area. We kept the divider between our balconies open all the time which was so nice and convenient. during the day, we kept the door open between the rooms which made it easy for the children to walk in between each room without having to go outside in the hallway.

Entertainment: What can I say, it's Disney! and Disney knows how to put on a show. I heard negative comments about Villians, however we all loved the show even our 2 1/2year old grandaughter. The other two shows were exceptional and well worth seeing. I would not miss any show!!!. We did not visit any of the adult bars as we were more attentive to the children this cruise. We did however take time to go through all of them when they were closed just to see what they looked liked. Truely elegant!!!

Pools; Here is where there are sooo many bad reviews about the pools and chair hogs. So I couldn't wait to see if it was as bad as everyone was saying. This is my take on our cruise. yes the pools were crowded but not horrible where you could not get in the pool with the children and enjoy yourself. The only problem I saw was a large family of adults consuming a big part of Mickey's pool one afternoon and it wasn't to watch over any small children of theirs because they didn't have any. I thought that was a little inconsiderate but it didn't affect us since we took our 2 and 4 year old grandchildren in Nemo's reef and the 7 year old only wanted to go down the Aqua Duck a few times and then he went in one of the other pools and hung around the side. So we didn't have any problems with the pools being over crowded for us. Yes, I did see some good ol' chair hogs but, there was alot of empty chairs too. We spent alot of our time away from the lido deck and right directly in front of the pools so if you are concerned about finding chairs, don't be.

I do have to comment on the behavior of both children and adults. The children were some of the best kids I have ever seen. Not once did I see any child out of control. I saw very attentive parents, parents who did not let their children act up, ruin other passengers cruise, get out of control or be inconsiderate. These children were truely amazing!! I never experienced or observed any adult behaving badly, rude, or obnixious. I met some of the nicest passengers on this ship.

Remy's: My daughter and son in law ate at Remy's one night so I cannot speak personally as to the experience. They, however said that it was worth every penny they spent there and the food was the best they ever had. The wine selection was premium.

Pirates Night: It was a fantastic show however I thought it was really too late in the evening. The fireworks didn't start until after 9:30 and then they had the show afterwards. For young children, it kept them up too long yet you didn't want them to miss it. I saw alot of tired children. Fireworks were great!

Disembarkation: since we had eary dining, we were requested to be in the main dining room by 6:45 for breakfast. Once we were done, they had you disembark from the ship at that time so it was pretty early for us. We found our luggage in less than 30 seconds and was out by the terminal waiting for transportation within 15 minutes and that was getting through immigration.

For those who are about to embark upon the Disney Dream for the first time, hold back all your fears because it is truely a beautiful ship, well staffed, excellent entertainment, plenty of family activities, adult activities, and beautiful staterooms. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy!!! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah Deck 10 8620

Excellent location on the ship. Totally quiet area. So much space for your luggage. Convenience of two bathrooms. Adequate balcony space. Starboard side of ship with excellent views of Nassau and Castaway Cay and fireworks.

Ample space for everyone. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas. There was so many family activities to do that were inexpensive. Bathrooms were kept very clean. Plenty of disney character greets. The food was very good with a large selection and having ice cream available on the island was incredible. The staff on Castaway Cay stayed on top of everything and were available for all your needs. Access to and from the ship was very easy.