Disney Wonder Cruise Review by SFSLECTOR: Disney Wonder was WONDERFUL

Disney Wonder was WONDERFUL

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I cannot say enough about the way that I was treated by ALL of the staff on the Disney Wonder on my cruise to Alaska 5/21 to 5/28/2012! The servers assigned to the family for dinner could not have been more gracious or considerate. We have a number of allergies and food problems and after we told them the first night we never had to say anything again. When we had breakfast or lunch and they weren't working our table, they came over to let the current server know what our desires were and to be sure we were taken care of. Josef the head server even remembered my name when I ran into him on deck and needed direction on how to get where I wanted to go. I don't know how they chose the family with whom we shared our table, but it was a very good fit. The children were the same age and got along great. The adults turned out to have much in common as well. Nothing like making new friends 2000 miles from home!!
The stateroom had more than enough room for us and we were able to More unpack and put everything in the drawers and plenty of hangers in the closet so we didn't have to fall over suitcases. The stateroom host was very considerate. The children's clothes were nicely folded and placed on the counter each day and their stuffed animals were given places of honor on their bed each day by the stateroom host. They loved the towel animals each night. He was especially kind to me the morning I was a bit under the weather. :(
The captain made announcements several times a day to let us know what we were going to see and how he expected the weather to be -- ie. will it be rough or not so we could decide on dramamine or not??? We weren't able to get through to Tracy Arms for the glaciers because the previous ships had to turn around because the ice was too thick to reach the glaciers, so the Captain made a detour and took us to where we could come close to another glacier. I don't know how Tracy Arm could surpass what we saw as what we did see was amazing.
There was always enough to do on the ship while at sea for both the adults and the children. No complaints there. The only complaint is I hated to come back home. THE STAFF SPOILED ME FOR REAL LIFE BACK HOME!! Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Deluxe Inside Stateroom Deck Five 6548

The family had two cabins. Mine with the children was with a veranda. It was more than adequate for us all. We had plenty of storage room. The bathroom was split so we had two sinks which was great. Both sides of the bathroom were more than large enough for the one person using it at a time. The balcony was wonderful to have to be able to enjoy the ocean breeze and the views without having to go up on deck especially when it was raining. It was quiet and we didn't hear any noise from either room on either side. The other cabin was inside and across the hall for my son and his wife and it was plenty large enough for them and all their things. My one complaint is that we couldn't use the balcony for 2 days because during one port call they varnished the railing and we could not lean on it, plus there was the awful smell. We couldn't leave the door open for the breeze because the smell was so strong it caused nausea. The service by the stateroom host was outstanding and we wanted for nothing.

We rented a car since there were 5 of us and the cost of the car was far less than getting tickets for each of us for a tour. We used Rent a Wreck and ended up with a 2 year old Lincoln Continental. Not exactly what I would call a Wreck. We drove to the Mendenhaul glacier. We were able to spend as much time as we wanted to by the glacier and the beautiful falls. Price was good too--free. The visitor's center was a disappointment but we were able to see the goats on the hill through their telescopes.($3) We then went on to the Shrine of St Therese which was just down the road a bit.(free) It is a beautiful, serene place with beautiful views. A lovely retreat for contemplation of both God and scenery. We drove on to Eagle Beach but unfortunately no eagles. Not really worth the drive though it is probably better later in the year. We drove back to Juneau and visited the Alaska State Museum.($6) That is one of the BEST museums I've been to and believe me I've been to a lot of them. I'm sorry that we were not able to spend more time there but we had to get back to the ship. Shopping in Juneau is a major disappointment. Way too many jewelry stores.
Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Kayaking

(5.5)
The family went on the Kayaking as I wasn't up to it. They said they had an absolutely wonderful experience. They came very close to whales and had the thrill of a lifetime. I shopped in the town and found some very nice things. Still too many jewelry stores but this port had other stores for some very nice items to take back from the trip.

Nature Tour

(5.5)
I took the Disney Wonder Cruise to Alaska and wondered how we were going to experience Alaska when Skagway has a population of 800 and only 5 streets. HOWARD MALLORY was the answer. He spent 9 hours with us taking us up the AlCan Highway through Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory. We saw not only the usual tourist sites (short time in each thank heaven) but mostly the areas that only the locals know about. He was knowledgeable about everything and was able to answer any question we asked. We saw eagles, goats, moose poo, and 3, count them, 3 BEARS. One of the bears was so close that if we'd gotten out of the car we would have fallen over him. Howard warned us to stay in the car and as a result we were able to watch the bear up close for quite a long time without danger. The SUV was very comfortable for the 5 of us (2 children and 3 adults) and Howard is a very safe driver even on mountainous, and sometimes twisty roads. The views we saw were amazing and Howard stopped whenever we wanted to drink in the vista longer than a "drive by". (Try doing that on a bus trip -- I think not!) The border patrol stations for both Canada and the U.S. knew Howard and there was no delay in crossing the border either way. He also steered us to a "local" spot for lunch that was not inundated with bus tours and had excellent food. The family had a great time at the desert in the middle of the Yukon which was amazing since they spend little time in the sand as a rule. (Kids hate getting sand in their shoes.) but the view from the top of the sand dunes was amazing and worth the climb. You can't go wrong with Howard. The price was reasonable and worth every penny. Visited May 2012