Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by SFO-F/A

Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: BD
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Excellent Itinerary, Great cruise
The Baltic area is a place I've always wanted to visit, especially St. Petersburg, Russia. I guess you could say it was on my bucket list!

We spent a couple of days in Copenhagen trying to adjust to the time change. We stayed at the Best Western Hotel City, a centrally located hotel, with a delicious breakfast that would see us through to dinner. Copenhagen is a very walkable city, you can get anywhere on foot, we didn't use public transport except from the airport to the hotel.

We took a taxi from our hotel to the port around 11am, arriving around 11:15. We dropped our luggage off at the curb. There weren't too many people there at that time, no long lines to get through security, (unlike Miami). We were handed a group boarding card, group 3. We walked right up to a check in line, no wait.

Check in was easy, we are Latitudes members, our friends who were traveling with us, are not. Their line was just as quick. After check-in, we sat and waited to board the NCL Sun. I think boarding started around noon, not sure as I wasn't looking at my watch. Group 3 boarded about 15 minutes later.

We decided to get our bearings on the Sun, the 4 of us walked around the ship. Cabins were ready around 1:15. Our stateroom was a BD, 9075, in the aft. Our friends had a BC on the deck 10. We like the aft, as it is near the buffet and great outdoors. You can always run up a couple of flights of stairs and grab a bite to eat and bring it back to your cabin. Our cabin was smaller than our friends, but our balcony was huge. Even with the cabin being smaller than most on the ship, it was still larger than any other regular balcony cabin I've stayed in. The SUN has large cabins! Everything was in working order and the cabin and bathroom were exceptionally clean. Only con in the bathroom is the small shower with a shower curtain that likes to stick to you when you shower. Lots of storage. Our cabin steward, Fidel, was the best steward we've had on a cruise. He was not only very friendly, he kept our cabin spic and span, supplying us with anything we need. Cabin serviced twice a day. We had a coffee maker in the room we used daily, sometimes making two pots.

We dined in the buffet a couple of times. It was very crowded with lots of people pushing, not enough room to sit. On this sailing, it was too cool to eat outside. We decided to take the rest of our meals in the main dining room where we received excellent service and very good food. We also had the Chefs Table one night and ate in our favorite, Le Bistro, two nights. For breakfast we had room service, or ran up to the buffet to get something and ate it in our room. This trip is port intensive and there isn't much time to take your time with breakfast, except on sea days.

Entertainment was very good. The production numbers were fun and we enjoyed them all. (didn't see magic show, not my thing) My favorite act around the ship was Tino in the Windjammer. One night we were there till it closed pushed tables and chairs aside, got up and danced till Tino couldn't sing anymore.

The White Hot Party wasn't as exciting as I've found it to be on other ships, however, we had fun dancing with our new found friends for an hour or so.

Day one we were in Warnemunde, we did Friends of Dave Tours. Loved it, will add more in port section.

Day two, sea day. I was in charge of our Meet and Greet. The group coordinator arranged for juices, coffee, tea, water and cookies to be set out in a section of the observation lounge. We had a sign in sheet, I brought name tags. We had a good turn out, about 40-45 people. Many bringing gifts for our gift exchange.

A few of the officers came to greet us, which is always appreciated. I had a cabin crawl planned as well, this was done in the afternoon, about 26 people participating. There was lots to do onboard, you could go from one activity to the other all day long.

Day three, Tallinn, Estonia. We walked into the old town, very picturesque city. More on port review.

Tonight was the night we enjoyed the Chef's Table. 12 lucky people dined on the finest food and drink prepared under the direction of chef Orwill. Champagne and photos with the chef in the lobby, then we were taken to a separate dining area in the dining room, where we were served 9 courses, paired with wines, followed up with coffee and after dinner drinks at Java cafe. This was the highlight on board the Sun, a truly decadent evening we'll always remember.

Day four and five, St Petersburg, Russia. Fantastic. We booked with TJ Travel, more in port review.

Day six Helsinki, Finland, walked off ship and did own tour of town with public transport.

Day seven, Stockholm, Sweden. Woke up early to a bit of shaking in our cabin, being from San Francisco, I forgot where I was and thought it was an earthquake. Found out it was the ship slowing for the pilot to get aboard and guide us though the most amazing archipelago, islands everywhere you look, coffee on the balcony time, camera at the ready. Beautiful!

Day eight at sea. Never a dull moment, always something to do. Took part in a martini tasting! Started packing, that's always sad. Final meal in Le Bistro.

Day nine, time to leave the Sun in Copenhagen, easiest disembarkation ever! Walked off the ship at 7:15 with our luggage to waiting transport to the airport for an 11:00 flight.

We enjoyed our cruise on the Sun. It was one of our most memorable, the ports were our reason for taking this cruise. We would happily cruise on the Sun again!

Publication Date: 06/05/12