Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Hathawaycruiser: Girls' Getaway Cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Girls' Getaway Cruise

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans

This was our annual Mardi Gras Girls' cruise. There was 6 of us, 3 to a room. We almost did not make our ship with the craziness of Mardi Gras! We had no trouble to check in, since we were the only ones there!!

Our room was 8500, in the very front of the ship. It was a Larger Oceanview room. The room was really large w/ a bunk and another single. Our room even had a large chair that folded out to make another bed, but wasn't used. We really liked the extra room, but you did feel the ship rock. We will stick to midship from now on!

This is the first time our Girls' cruise used NCL instead of Carnival. I have to admit, I am a Carnival girl at heart. The main difference was in the food. It just wasn't up to Carnival's standard! I know it sounds crazy, but I did not gain any weight!! The desserts were not good at all! Most looked like something you would pick up at Walmart. No Chocolate Melting Cake!! I also found they did not have a good selection on the menu. I was More really disappointed because I used NCL 20 years ago, and remember the food being really good, but sorry NCL, Carnival has you beat! On the plus side, we did the taste of India, and for $15 you had a 16 course meal. Crazy! The food was really good, and they fed you well! We also ate at Cagney's Steakhouse for $25. It was really good, steak was excellent.

I did not like the freestyle dining as much as I thought I would. We missed many shows because we were late to dinner. I think I like the idea of a set meal time so can't procrasinate! On Carnival, you have 2 show times, one for the early sitting, and one for the late sitting. On NCL sometimes they only had one time for a show! So if you were late, too bad for the show! (and getting 6 women ready isn't an easy feat)

We had very bad winds on our way home, so much so that almost everyone was sick, including the staff! Gail force winds had us staying in the middle of the ship for most of the day, because of where our room was located. I was actually glad to get home!

Next year we will be back on Carnival-the new Carnival Magic out of Galveston! This should be great as we have never been on a new ship yet! Woo Hoo! Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit 8500

We went on a zipline tour which was great, what was not so great was waiting for another family who went tubing at another time to ride back with us. Waited much too long! We did some shopping, and got back on the ship.

Beach Break

(5)
Had a great time here, paid one price for all food and drink. The food was super! The servers were constantly getting us food or drink. Couldn't have asked for better. Also had a beach massage which was great also. Great day!

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
Did the Dolphin Swim, which was the highlight of our cruise!! Wonderful! The pictures were a bit expensive, but well worth it!

Did not even get off the ship!! The winds were too bad, so we just sailed around Roatan.
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews