Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Hathawaycruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Hathawaycruiser
Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: Hathawaycruiser
Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: O3
Shore Excursions 5+

Girls' Getaway Cruise
This was our annual Mardi Gras Girls' cruise. There was 6 of us, 3 to a room. We almost did not make our ship with the craziness of Mardi Gras! We had no trouble to check in, since we were the only ones there!!

Our room was 8500, in the very front of the ship. It was a Larger Oceanview room. The room was really large w/ a bunk and another single. Our room even had a large chair that folded out to make another bed, but wasn't used. We really liked the extra room, but you did feel the ship rock. We will stick to midship from now on!

This is the first time our Girls' cruise used NCL instead of Carnival. I have to admit, I am a Carnival girl at heart. The main difference was in the food. It just wasn't up to Carnival's standard! I know it sounds crazy, but I did not gain any weight!! The desserts were not good at all! Most looked like something you would pick up at Walmart. No Chocolate Melting Cake!! I also found they did not have a good selection on the menu. I was really disappointed because I used NCL 20 years ago, and remember the food being really good, but sorry NCL, Carnival has you beat! On the plus side, we did the taste of India, and for $15 you had a 16 course meal. Crazy! The food was really good, and they fed you well! We also ate at Cagney's Steakhouse for $25. It was really good, steak was excellent.

I did not like the freestyle dining as much as I thought I would. We missed many shows because we were late to dinner. I think I like the idea of a set meal time so can't procrasinate! On Carnival, you have 2 show times, one for the early sitting, and one for the late sitting. On NCL sometimes they only had one time for a show! So if you were late, too bad for the show! (and getting 6 women ready isn't an easy feat)

We had very bad winds on our way home, so much so that almost everyone was sick, including the staff! Gail force winds had us staying in the middle of the ship for most of the day, because of where our room was located. I was actually glad to get home!

Next year we will be back on Carnival-the new Carnival Magic out of Galveston! This should be great as we have never been on a new ship yet! Woo Hoo!

Publication Date: 06/05/12