Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by patty1955: Panama Canal Cruise

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Panama Canal Cruise

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We are huge fans of Celebrity. In fact I may never be able to convince my DH to try another line. This cruse didn't change his mind. Celebrity lived up to its slogan "Modern Luxury".

We were lucky to be on the first cruise after the Solictization, but I don't think we will book another cruise on a ship just out of dry dock. This was our second and, just like before, there were issues that impacted our enjoyment. There were problems with the air conditioning all over the ship for the first few days. It took 4 or 5 days for our cabin temperature to be comfortable. Fumes, wet paint and dining room confusion all got better as the cruise went on. I'm sure by the second cruise it was all worked out.

The new areas of the Millennium are beautiful. They really improve and update the look of the ship. Once people discover the new areas, they're going to be very busy. The older areas of the ship are still showing their age. I had heard that all the soft surfaces were going to More be replaced, but we saw frayed and worn carpet in several areas. We were amused to see duct tape being used on the bridge over the Grand Foyer.
Michaels Club and Bistro on Five are both great additions. The food in the Bistro was some of the best onboard and the staff in Michaels Club was amazing. Tommy in Michaels Club was very helpful and knowledgeable. He taught us all kinds of interesting things about both beer and whiskey.

Our cabin was wonderful. This was our first time in Concierge Class and we enjoyed all the special amenities. Contrary to what we read on Cruise Critic, the canapes were great. We looked forward to them every day. The other Concierge Class amenities weren't immediately available; they slowly showed up over the first few days. The new beds are some of the most confortable that we've slept on. DH wanted to buy one for our home until I did some research and found out what they cost. Cruising is cheaper!

The food is greatly improved over our last cruse. It was all well cooked and any issues we had were personal preference. We were told the menus were "hybrid", whatever that means. They had lots of choices and a good variety of foods. There were only two nights out of fifteen that we weren't happy with the choices offered. Interestingly, they didn't display the menu outside the restaurant before dinner on most days. It became a game for us to find and photograph the menu each afternoon. We saw others looking as well. Anytime we asked, we were told they were printing the menu so that may have had something to do with them being new menus.
There were some serious issues on the port side, select dining the first few nights. Everything was very rushed. The next several times, we were on the starboard side. We ate on the port side a few more time without incident until our last night. That night we got the worst service we've ever had on Celebrity. We actually sat with empty glasses and plates in front of us for half an hour before DH grabbed a waiter from another table and asked for service.

The entertainment was excellent. We enjoyed the comedian and the magician in particular. Jim Reynolds and Lisa Didier were the Celebrity Life speakers and they were both great. We learned a lot from Jim and Lisa managed to fill the theatre twice with her Madames lectures.

I was disappointed with the Captain's Club wine seminar. This was our first cruise as Select and the wine seminar was the one event I had most looked forward to. Our welcome letter said it was in the 5th floor Main Dining room but when we got there they told us it was in the Olympic. We were one of the last people to get there so we had to wait while they set up places for us. By the time we both had settings and wine, they were on the second of four wines. We ended up seated next to the kitchen and had trouble hearing over the clatter of dishes. Between the noise from the kitchen and the heavy accent of the speaker, we missed a lot. It was all very disappointing.

I don't usually read review of ports or excursion, so I hesitate to write one. I'm going to make an exception for Antigua, Guatemala. Guatemala is beautiful and, one of these days, this is going to make a great stop, but it's not ready yet. Prices are too high for the souvenirs, the street sellers are too pushy, food is expensive, and there is almost nothing written in English. I don't want to act like an ugly American, but it's hard to enjoy a place without being able to understand what we're seeing. We visited a museum that was interesting, but we couldn't read any of the signs or exhibits. We visited several Mexican cities and we thought the timeshare salesmen were pushy, but they are nothing compared to the street sellers in Antigua. At some spots we were swarmed and they didn't want to take "no" for an answer. If I wasn't with DH, I would have been worried. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Concierge Class Panorama Deck (8) 8051

Although this cabin in listed as "Partially Obstructed" the obstruction is actually for the cabin next door. We didn't have any issue with the obstruction and we'd book this cabin again