Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by charlieskid: Very Disappointing

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Very Disappointing

Sail Date: May 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Have sailed RC many times, and this time was not enjoyable. Starting with the transfer from Orlando to Port Canaveral. There was a disabled gentleman in a motorized wheel chair in the middle of the bus. Apparently the driver placed him in first. Anyone who had to pass him, had to squeeze between him and the chair - which was man extremely tight fit. He was constantly being hit with things because the storage area of the bus was full and many people had to carry their smaller pieces of luggage. If we heard it once, we heard it many times about how they are not paid by the ship and that they depend upon tips for their income.

When we arrived at the pier, the driver insisted that everyone get off the bus before taking this man out. I and my companion waited because we knew we would be hitting into the chair to get around him and did not want to cause any more harm. It was obvious that he was upset and only wanted to get off the bus. The driver insisted that my More companion and I get off before he would take the gentleman off the bus. So with numerous apologies, we had to go around him and exit the bus and then the driver lowered his chair to exit the bus. How disrespectful and ignorant a person he was.

We had signed up for the Murder Mystery Dinner. Being a lover of these, I could not wait, and talked my companion into going. The cost was $49 ea and included the show and dinner at Portofino. DO NOT PARTAKE IN THIS EVENT. There were about 75 people in the audience - none of which were part of the storyline (all the dinners I have gone to in the past always included audience participation). It starts in one of the lounges and you have to walk down to the restaurant after the first act. You are given two choices to eat - filet mignon or shrimp. You place your order and the play continues with the murder. They break for you to enjoy your dinner. You have an appetizer (good) and then wait for dinner. The wine is included in the $49. And you wait, and wait, and wait. An hour later they began serving the food - from the last table up to the first table. By the time the first table is served, the last table has had desert and coffee. (Total of 7 tables).

The troupe came back in went to each table to answer any questions you may have had. Most people were either just getting served or were eating their meals. By the time the murder was solved, the first table was just getting served. The food was mediocre at best. The desert was the best out of the three. Everyone's steak was good well done - even if you ordered it rare.

The performance of the troupe was TERRIBLE. It was totally unprofessional and disorganized. The "leader" was reading off of cards, and not very well. The "killer" was noted to have changed his tie after the first act which was supposedly his favorite tie and the tie that he wore in his yearbook picture (photos' were hanging up for you to see). So because he changed his tie, he was the killer. EXCEPT, the tie he was currently wearing was the same one in the picture. Huh?

Our stateroom was lovely and the cabin service was great. We ate in the dining room - food was not as good as my other cruises. I decided to have the alternate selection on night - which was angus beef steak. I didn't even recognize it as being steak.
Food in the buffets was so-so. Lunch in the main dining room was better, but the service was not good.

Overall most of the staff were very friendly and sincerely wanted you to have a good time. Out of all my cruises with RC this was the most disappointing. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Owner's Suite Deck 10 1320

Had the Owners Suite which is quite large with a very large balcony. Two large closets and drawers galore. Bathroom had both tube and shower with drawers to store your articles. Very quiet - mid-ship. Nicely decorated, but worn in some areas. Great balcony - new lounge chairs, table and chairs. Steward, Conneley, was great.

Another bus tour around both the French and Dutch sides. Tour guide was very good and knowledgeable.

St. John Tour

(5)
Great tour for someone who has difficulty walking. We went in the un-airconditioned van. Although hot, the tour guide was very good and very proud of his country. Learned a lot about St. Thomas that I never knew before.